1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From autosport.com:

N.Technology hoping for 2008 project

By Glenn Freeman Tuesday, November 20th 2007, 11:14 GMT

N.Technology team boss Mauro Sipsz hopes that James Thompson's performance this year will convince a manufacturer to approach the team for next year.

Thompson finished third in the World Touring Car Championship standings behind BMW's Andy Priaulx and SEAT's Yvan Muller, in an Alfa Romeo 156 that has hardly been developed for two years.

The Italian manufacturer gradually reduced its support for the team since the 2005 season, and now that Alfa's three-year commitment with WTCC organisers is over, N.Technology are without a project for next year.

"For us to finish third in the championship just reinforces the quality and offering of my team," said Sipsz.

"This year we have had the smallest of budget, virtually zero testing but as usual the N.Technology commitment and professionalism has shone through.

"I am sure that this year's result will ensure any automotive manufacturer considering a motorsport programme will think of us."

Thompson is also keen for the squad to be picked up by another manufacturer, as he believes that they are capable of great things.

"This team is incredible," he told autosport.com in September. "What we have been doing with this car is a great achievement.

"I have nothing on the table for next year at the moment, so I'm working hard for my own future, but just as much for the team as well.

"I really want to stay with them, so I'm hoping that they get offered something for next year, they deserve it."

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 156 would still be competitive if only they would spend money to develop it. With a small budget their driver still came in 3rd in points. (Their second car did not have the driver it deserved to be competitive.)

FIAT/Alfa (and SEAT and Chevy) are just peeved because BMW runs a RWD car while the rest of the field is FWD. They want all cars to be one or the other, but to make rwd (racing only) Alfa then the FIA would have to drop the requirement that the race car drive the same wheels as the road car...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think they (Alfa) will be back in WTCC in 2009.
The new DTM rules might be attractive as well.

N.Technology will likely be running Hondas in '08

·
Registered
432 Posts
The 159 is too big and heavy, and the 156 is too old. What would they use and still be competitive?
Nothing. This is why they quit. Plus, it might be a good idea to take cars like the 159 off the race market to avoid embarrassment and the potential loss of sales as a result.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Nothing. This is why they quit. Plus, it might be a good idea to take cars like the 159 off the race market to avoid embarrassment and the potential loss of sales as a result.
I'm not sure of the TCC rules but the Brera or the GT might be handy.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
There were plans to start with the 8C in GT2 class. It seems there is little development there. Would be a little bit more interesting than a 159 in WTCC in my opinion!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts

Exactly. they need four doors to begin with and they don't have any new cars with four doors. Hopefully the replacement for the 147 can be a worthy replacement. If they base it on the same platform as the 159 I doubt it though, too heavy probably.

Why not the Grande Punto? They use it for rally but why not WTCC? :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Maserati: Long distance racing. (MC12)
Ferrari : F1
Fiat : Rallies (junior championship)
Alfa: Touring cars, except they haven't a suitable car for either WTCC or DTM
Lancia: Well, whatever..... shame!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Precisely Seinista! I would only make one change:

Lancia: Reclaim WRC Glory.

I long for the days of 6 consecutive WRC crowns. :(
Though isn't WRC supposed to be adopting a less technical formula in the coming years?

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excuses, excuses, excuses! The 156 is too old, the 147 is going to be replaced, the 159 is too heavy, the 8C will race in FIA GT, blah, blah, blah. FIAT is treating Alfa Romeo as the unwanted step child. It will be funny when they re-launch Alfa in the USA and play up its racing hertiage. Journalists will have a field day point out the Alfa currently has no racing program! True Alfistsi should be incensed!

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Excuses, excuses, excuses! The 156 is too old, the 147 is going to be replaced, the 159 is too heavy, the 8C will race in FIA GT, blah, blah, blah. FIAT is treating Alfa Romeo as the unwanted step child. It will be funny when they re-launch Alfa in the USA and play up its racing hertiage. Journalists will have a field day point out the Alfa currently has no racing program! True Alfistsi should be incensed!

Maybe by the time Alfa actually does come back to North America (if ever) Alfa WILL have a viable sedan racing program :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I quite agree, Maldi, It seems the Alfa fans are satisfied with a maybe -attendance in WTCC! Well I am from the days when Alfa was racing in Formula 1, Prototypes, DTM and Indycar, so I am not at all satisfied with the state of things! In the not too old days all of Alfa models were intended to paticipate in racing. Today its a big maybe! Well, I would at least expect this brand to participate in long distance racing with the 8C, or all credibility of a sporty brand can be forgotten. Today they only produce overheavy regular cars with nice styling, but thats all! I think Alfa should have a completely independent position from Fiat and make up their own racing strategy, not fearing to meet Ferrari or Maserati on the race track of policy reasons!

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The article cited above says the cars are for sale from N.Technology for 160,000 Euros each. Now if we all pool our money... ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
cant get 'em to have enough power. They have to have an 8 cilinder, and the 1000 made for the 8C are not enough to homologate.
Wat for the follow up for the 166, on a Maser platform, with a V8.....Then, yes then, a 159 V8 DTM, pretty good idea...

·
Registered
5 Posts
cant get 'em to have enough power. They have to have an 8 cilinder, and the 1000 made for the 8C are not enough to homologate.
Wat for the follow up for the 166, on a Maser platform, with a V8.....Then, yes then, a 159 V8 DTM, pretty good idea...
The power is restricted and the engines has to last an entire season...

How many cars do you have to build to homologate the engine? How many V8 powered road cars did Opel build when they ran the Astras?

ITR has been pretty open to make exceptions to get more cars in the DTM field. The Abt Audi TT-R even had a much longer wheelbase than the normal TT, which made it look quite strange and actually a lot like the later R8 (road car, not the LMP1 ;) ).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts