Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
You can lead them to water...

I suggest you read the latest issue (Vol 102, no.6, June 2021) of EOS magazine, "Science News by AGU (the American Geophysics Union").
Can't find it. Got a link to it?

This link?

Which part were you thinking would educate this horse with some real climate science?

Skimming all the articles reveals very little science news of any kind, just btw. I'd like to read the parts you refer to.

PS I already have the latest information on Covid 19 airborne transmission issues. AGU is a bit behind on that topic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Never going to happen. The whole idea of converting our road transport fleet to electricity is a non starter.

There's no way to build enough generating capacity, of all kinds, to supply the necessary power when necessary.

By 2030 all this CAGW nonsense will be history.
Agree. The target date is absurdly ambitious. As is the concept of level 4 autonomous driving. America is a big country. Weather, road conditions, logistics vary wildly and not everywhere is capable of supporting the paradigm shift they keep speaking of. Add to that the increasing efficiency of ICE and Synth fuel technology. They like to sell the idea that every vehicle will be electric in a few decades. Elon is their snake oil salesman. I’m not anti-tech. I just don’t buy it because it’s not logical.

·
Premium Member
1988 Spider Quadrifoglio
217 Posts
Autonomous driving is a little off topic, no?

As for timelines - consider how little time it took mechanize North America in the early 20th century. All that energy exploration, refining and refueling infrastructure, paved roads even. How much IC engines improved in just 2 - 3 decades.

If you lined the floor of your car and filled it's trunk with the best available rechargeable batteries from just 25 years ago, the range would still be terrible. Yet we now have EVs that will go about as far as an ICE vehicle.

How about cellular phone and internet infrastructure? There was NONE of that 40 years ago. Zero. And yet, you can now read this on a gas station toilet in some tiny hamlet in Alaska.

Finally, we already HAVE most of the required infrastructure for battery EVs. There are very few communities on this continent that don't have electricity. Your house has all the service capacity it needs to support EVs. Building a network of rapid charging stations for long range driving is hardly an insurmountable challenge. Just stick them in gas stations. They already have electricity.

Come on America, you went from no rocket technology to landing a man on the moon in less than 30 years. Show the rest of us how it's done.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The amount of misinformation out there about moving away from fossil fuels is proportional to the shear dollar value of the industry, and the number of folks trying to make a living out of it. Battery electric vehicles are the near term future. Hopefully at some point we can come up with a transportation solution that gets rid of private automobiles as primary transportation entirely.
Listening to Tony Seba, his models and predictions of energy and transportation disruption are consistent with your point, and make sense to me.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Some things are not possible, no matter how smart we think we are. AI directed driving is likely one of those things. It's on topic because nobody in their right mind would buy an Alfa with an autonomous driving capability. Heck my dear friend who is looking to replace his daily driver (a 2001 chipped Audi S4 with clilovers, I sold him) tried a Giulia at my suggestion. The deal breaker for him was the blind spot monitoring buzzers. I agree. Anyone who needs that feature shouldn't be driving any Alfa. Heck, shouldn't be driving at all.

There's a great sight gag in a Sienfelt episode where Kramer's ambulance chasing lawyer (itself a hilarious takedown of part of the American legal business) and his client jump into the lawyer's car to drive to a settlement meeting. A chauffeur driven BMW....for car nuts (and Jerry definitely is one) this is hysterically funny.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Listening to Tony Seba, his models and predictions of energy and transportation disruption are consistent with your point, and make sense to me.
That's old news. As a computer scientist Seba must know he's just blowing smoke. Some of the finest minds in the World working on the AI problems are completely stumped by the problem of fully autonomous driving. As for abandoning fossil fuels by 2030 or 2050.......ROFL

·
Registered
180 Posts
From this part of the world you can remove the question mark from the topic title. ICE vehicle sales will be banned in numerous EU countries plus Japan and India, by 2030 and others to follow in the next 5-10 years after that. It would simply be commercial suicide to be designing new ICE vehicles over the near future. Why put effort into something that will be illegal to sell in key markets?

Look for older ICE vehicle designs to have their lives prolonged with a few nips and tucks in the run up to that. I was given a ride in a new model Porsche Taycan last week. Quite incredible and pricewise, about what you'd expect a top end ICE Porsche to be. Though the **** thing did weigh 2.3 tons it sure didn't feel like it when accelerating. Look for lawmakers and higher volume sales to tip the commercial viability scales in favour of EV over the next decade.

Interesting piece in the press on the demise of fuel stations in the next 20 years, when liquid fuel stations will be as scarcely available as EV charging points are now. That will also tip the balance.

As I sit here now, close to the G7 conference (spotted Air Force 1 at the local airport, got held up by the Justin Trudeau convoy yesterday) look for an announcement on climate change and EV coming out. The debate now isn't about 'if', it's about 'when'.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Current politicians can make any commitments they wish to, they won't be in office to legislate these imaginary bans. I don't believe any politician's statement about the future.

Hardly anybody takes the supposed threat of CAGW seriously according to every poll ever taken. Most people don't even see it as real let alone a real problem.

In democracies the voters will simply not vote for these idiots. In other places where voters have no say I can't help noticing that no action is bring taken on climate change.

In both the USA and Canada woe betide any politician who makes gasoline more expensive. How on Earth is any politician on this continent going to wave a magic wand and make gasoline power illegal?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The hydrogen powered trucks would use hydrogen fuel cells to produce electricity to drive the wheels. No combustion at all.
You do know how much CO2 is created to get at the H2?

Do you know where they put it?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts