Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Great little car. But it's a very small car, built to a tight price point (little profit per unit), by a manufacturer who hasn't had a dealer network here in over 25 years (and didn't have much of a network even then). I wouldn't hold your breath.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wish they would offer some of the original colors...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If the Smart ForTwo is any success in the states, Fiat has stated that they may bring to new 500 to America.

From italiaspeed.com:

Sergio Marchionne has ignited talk that the Fiat 500 could be set to arrive in the USA, after confirming that they were closely monitoring the stateside launch of the Smart Fortwo. "We are observing the Smart phenomenon in the US. We'll see how it goes. Technically we are ready," Italian daily newspaper la Stampa reported Marchionne as saying.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It will be interesting to see what happens. According to that italiaspeed article, response to the Smart has been overwhelming. I suppose aside from the obvious benefits, (fuel economy, compactness in congested areas) they are also relatively cheap.

I'm hoping I can fit one (or a Smart) and a smallish weekend car into one parking spot. :)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Fiat 500 has just won the Car of the Year award!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Great little car. But it's a very small car, built to a tight price point (little profit per unit)...
It was my understanding that this car is built on the same platform as one of their other small cars. I do not know exactly which one it is but I think it is the Panda. I read somewhere that the 500 gets premium pricing over the Panda - something like 2,000 to 4,000 Euros over the price of a Panda. Some writers had questioned why anyone would pay the higher price for a similar product, other than the 500 is a much cuter car. So, it does not appear from what I have read that the profit per unit is too tight. Probably, just the opposite, I think Fiat has hit a home run with this car. They have probably sold out their initial production run estimate and are trying to expand production.

Good thoughts, though and if Smart can sell their small, no butt car, then why not Fiat.

Jeff
Dallas

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
We might get the Fiat 500 by 2010. I read an article in the European car magazine.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
From italiaspeed.com:

Technically we are ready," Italian daily newspaper la Stampa reported Marchionne as saying.
Ha Ha Ha "Technically ready" in Italian must not translate to English very well.:rolleyes: They've been saying that about Alfa's return for years, and it keeps getting pushed further and further into the future.

Keep in mind that with our dollar so weak, it's a very difficult time for foreign automakers who don't have manufacturing plants in the U.S. to sell cars here and make a profit. The price might have to be bumped up to to an area where it's competing against cars it wasn't designed to be compared to.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Good thoughts, though and if Smart can sell their small, no butt car, then why not Fiat.

Jeff
Dallas
Theoretically, there's no reason that a cute mini-Fiat couldn't be sold here, but here's an interesting comparison:

Smart was developed by Mercedes (Daimler-Benz) and will be marketed as such, and their US distribution (smart USA) is a division of Penske Automotive Group. The Fiat 500 was developed by Fiat, would almost certainly have to be marketed as a Fiat, and would be distributed in the US by whom?

From a marketing standpoint, as a 'premium' microcar, whose odds do you like over here? It's not impossible, but I'm just saying...

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's really a good way to get people interested in the car. I just spent about 10 minutes building "my" version of a car I have no interest in buying, but after 10 min., I would like to at least see some variant of "my" version in the flesh.

speaking of very cool Build Your Own sites, you ever seen this one..
Welcome!

Imagine your paint scheme on a car that I believe all the orders have been covered.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
FIAT 500 COTY 2008

1. Fiat 500 - 385
2. Mazda2 - 325
3. Ford Mondeo - 202
4. Kia Cee’d - 166
5. Nissan Qashqai - 147
6. Mercedes C-Klasse - 128
7. Peugeot 308 - 97

The new Fiat 500 has won the EuroCarBody 2007 award, the world’s most prestigious prize for car bodies.
EuroCarBodyAWARD 2007 - Abstimmungsergebnisse

1. FIAT 500 38,33 Pkt.
2. Renault Laguna III 37,53 Pkt.
3. Mercedes C-Klasse 37,16 Pkt.
4. Volvo V70/XC70 35,87 Pkt.
5. Ford Mondeo 34,69 Pkt.
6. Honda Accord 34,44 Pkt.
7. AUDI A5 33,90 Pkt.
8. Nissan Qashqai 33,68 Pkt.
9. Land Rover Freelander 2 27,53 Pkt.
10. LADA 2116 Sedan 25,85 Pkt.
11. Rolls Royce Phantom Cabrio 24,63 Pkt.
12. Opel Antara 22,09 Pkt.

Car Magazine - 500 "Car of the Year 2007"
Video Car of the Year 2007 video - Galleries - Carmagazine.co.uk

FIAT 500 TOPS whatcar READERS' POLL
italiaspeed.com

Fiat 500 L’Automobile più Bella del Mondo (The World’s most Beautiful Automobile)
italiaspeed.com: L’Automobile più Bella del Mondo

Αutocar
Fiat 500 - Road Test First Drive - Autocar.co.uk

''No, you should buy two: how about a base 1.2 with some well-chosen options for schlepping around town and a deposit placed on an Abarth for the weekend?''

4car
Fiat 500 (2007-) | Road Test Review | 4car | channel4.com

''See one, drive one and you'll want one''

Car
Fiat 500 - First Drives - Carmagazine.co.uk

Top Gear
Top Gear

''That's the context. The substance, the stuff that makes a car desirable in the 21st century, isn't just the macro-sheet metal that talks, wrapping mechanicals that fizz. It's the details, like having spot on sculpturing for your alloys, the right depth of texture on your dashboard, a set of effortlessly reconfigured instruments, pert little switches with a finger friendly click-clack and a chrome ring surround. Fiat gets all that. The 500 gets it all''

5th gear
YouTube - new fiat 500

"it's got an Aura about it.......for year the coolest kid in the small car playground has been the Μini...but I reckon this new 5oo..could run up , kick it in the nuts and steal its lunch money.... "

500 Abarth & Αbarth SS
500 Abarth SS | Spy Shots | News | Auto Express
http://images.worldcarfans.com/articles/2007/9/17/9070917.011/9070917.011.Mini2L.jpg
http://images.worldcarfans.com/articles/2007/9/17/9070917.011/9070917.011.Mini5L.jpg
http://images.worldcarfans.com/articles/2007/9/17/9070917.011/9070917.011.Mini3L.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
The Fiat 500 was developed by Fiat, would almost certainly have to be marketed as a Fiat, and would be distributed in the US by whom?
Most likely it would be sold through the Alfa / Maserati dealerships as an additional "boutique" offering. Sort of like an accessory clothing line or luggage set for new owners of the Fiat's bigger cousins.

Of course, it would bring a great deal of traffic into the Alfa / Maserati dealerships that might not otherwise pass through the doors.
Not such a bad marketing idea, IMHO!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
[

Smart was developed by Mercedes (Daimler-Benz) and will be marketed as such, and their US distribution (smart USA) is a division of Penske Automotive Group. The Fiat 500 was developed by Fiat, would almost certainly have to be marketed as a Fiat, and would be distributed in the US by whom?

QUOTE]
In 2005 Fiat and Ford signed an agreement. Fiat was planning the new 500 and Ford needs to replace the Ka. The platform is based on a modified Panda platform and I believe there is/will be joint production in Poland.
I dont think anybody is criticizing the Panda platform anymore now that Fiat has such a hit.

So maybe Fiat could sell the car through Ford in the U.S.?
I won't hold my breath either, I'm still waiting to replace my 87 Milano with a new Alfa

·
Registered
520 Posts
We already have a few Smart's in the streets of LA. That is where that car should stay : in city streets. There are plenty in European cities and that car goes like a scaterd rabbitt, specialy the sporty models. but far too expensive !
Claude

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think

Looks more like two thirds off...
I think to compete with small cars like Smark, Austin mini cooper,Scion XB,XA,Honda Fit, fiat needs and Old friend back like Pininfarina, Bertone, Zagato, to make new Cars like this one Nido By Pininfarina, this way Fiat can offerd at least 3 choices one by each car disingner then Lancia can bring there cars and Alfa too. there is a big market now here in the U.S.A. in small cars.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts