Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad owned a Fiat 124 in the early 1970's. In 1983, he purchased a Fiat 128 hatchback to use as a second car. It had some rust inside the back because the PO had sold salt for water softeners. After a couple of years, the engine quit. We moved to another state and he decided to bring the Fiat, even though it was not running.

After moving, my dad decided to get the car running so I could use it while in high school. He found a farmer nearby that used Fiat 128 engines on his irrigation pumps (because he thought they were the most reliable engine available). My dad purchased an engine with 40,000 miles on it and put it in the car. I drove it for a couple of years while in high school, but one day on the way to school, the head gasket blew (1987/88). We had a large metal shed that the car always stayed in and we put it there and never got it running again. When I drove it, I always fancied it as a Rally car and sometimes took "shortcuts" through various cow pastures on the way to school.

My parents moved again in 1999 and sold the car to a neighbor for $100. He put it in his shed and never repaired it either.

Last week I purchased a 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. It came with some catalogs, and I saw that there are still some parts available for Fiats, too. Today I e-mailed the current owner of the Fiat (I googled his name and happened to find his e-mail addresss) and asked him if he still had the car and if he was interested in selling it. He replied that he would give it to me since he needed it out of his shed. Twenty four years after my dad first purchased it, I will now own it.

I bought an Alfa Romeo last week and this week I have a Fiat! :D

My wife doesn't sound that interested in another car, but I told her that my average cost per Italian car was just cut in half. They now average $1,562.50 each or $0.95/cc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is about 450 miles away and I probably won't pick it up for another month. I'll check if my parents have some pictures from when they owned it (and I drove it).

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
The only new car I ever owned was a 1972 Fiat 128. It really handled well and we loved the car, except it went through fuel pumps. $1978 on the road including licence and tax. I still have the receipt.

·
Registered
501 Posts
For the South Australian's on the BB... I spotted a white 2 door 128 last night while driving along Park Terrace (Adelaide, just outside the city) parked on the side of the road. Seemed a strange place to leave an interesting car, as its kind of an isolated area...

~Benjamin

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Mojave, what a great story! Show us pics as soon as you can.....

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Great! I grew up driving 128's and then my first car was a 131 wagon. Good luck with it. We used to do "grass-grabs" late at night in the 128 with the parking brake on and front wheels pulling the car across people's yards who had just rolled our house! LOL -Clark

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great! I grew up driving 128's and then my first car was a 131 wagon. Good luck with it. We used to do "grass-grabs" late at night in the 128 with the parking brake on and front wheels pulling the car across people's yards who had just rolled our house! LOL -Clark
Grass grabs?? LOL!! Sounds like an Italian Lawn Job!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts