Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this elsewhere but this seems to be a perfect place.

I bought this 1974 Spider in 1977 in as new condition.

14 years ago, with 135,000 miles on the clock I decided to repaint it and install a new top and interior.
The project sat for 13 years and last year I decided to finish it.

What you see is one of the most pleasant, fun to drive and reliable cars I've ever owned.

Bob Z.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had the pleasure of driving a newly restored fiat 124 spider when I was learning to drive, what an experience! A true classic and a fantastic car.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Yea - my first Italian car was a '71 124 spider. No car ever made had a better thought-out convertible top. Some of the plastic-y items on the 124 were a bit cheesey - I remember changing heater blower switches fairly often.

The model that I love are the 2 headlight coupes - you very rarely see them today. I remember considering one in terrific condition offered for $700 sometime in the late 1980's. It seemed cheap even then, but I really didn't need another car. I still think about it....

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I also love the 124 Spider... A '72 example, orange with black interior, was my first Italian convertible. Lots of great memories... I still own a '75 124 Spider with 38k original miles. A few years back I decided it needed restoration, and we did re-do the engine, but haven't gone any further... It will get done in its original colors nonetheless, even though my better half still thinks we should re-paint it in something other than the OEM orange.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
1972 Montreal. 2019 Giulia ti Sport. 2019 Stelvio ti Lusso.
1,549 Posts
Oh man, so many memories. As you can see from my signature, I had the pleasure of owning a maroon '74 Spider. I really loved that car, and I often miss it now. However, it has taken me over 20 years to feel that way.

I was a college student when I owned my Spider, and the repair bills were breaking me--I was bringing home max $125 a week in 1979-80.

I remember the interior as put together well, with no rattles or flimsy things falling off.

The car was a blast to drive, the twin cam was sweet and free revving, the transmission smooth as silk. I have many fond memories of autumn drives on New England back roads with my future and still wife. Bottle of cheap wine like Boones Farm, or the "good stuff" Lancers or Riunite Lambrusco, a large bag of Andy Capp fries, or Doritos, and a jar of pickles. Or, the time I drove the car down the sidewalk of a shopping center at 11PM. In the middle of winter. With the top down! One friend riding shotgun, and being chased by two other friends in a VW Beetle--thankfully not attracting the cops

The bad: A clutch cable that snapped not once but twice, and the resulting loss of a thumb nail on my left hand during one of the repairs. A wheel that fell off the car on the highway, on the way back from a bar in Providence RI at 2AM. (my father didn't like that phone call). However, the car was so well balanced, I didn't realize I lost the wheel, just thought I had a flat tire--that is until I went to change it. Surprise!!! Later in the spring, an oil pump, and water pump.

Oh well, someday, perhaps I'll have another.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The bad: A clutch cable that snapped not once but twice, and the resulting loss of a thumb nail on my left hand during one of the repairs. A wheel that fell off the car on the highway, on the way back from a bar in Providence RI at 2AM. (my father didn't like that phone call). However, the car was so well balanced, I didn't realize I lost the wheel, just thought I had a flat tire--that is until I went to change it. Surprise!!! Later in the spring, an oil pump, and water pump.

I can count the amount of times I drove the 124 spider on one hand and even I broke the clutch cable! It broke again about a month later with the owner driving it. It was mostly due to the fact that it wasn't installed correctly but I assume a lot of 124 spider owners know first hand of the snapping clutch cable.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
I can count the amount of times I drove the 124 spider on one hand and even I broke the clutch cable! It broke again about a month later with the owner driving it. It was mostly due to the fact that it wasn't installed correctly but I assume a lot of 124 spider owners know first hand of the snapping clutch cable.
I don't know if it was a design flaw or what. But, I'm more inclined to believe that I didn't install it correctly the first time, when the second cable went.

I remember being about 5mi from home one of the times it snapped. I turned off the car, and forced it into first gear. I started the car, and used the starter motor to get it going. Managed to shift to second, and then crawled home--luckily there was only one traffic light, and I managed to get it on the green.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
...I was a college student when I owned my Spider, and the repair bills were breaking me--....

The car was a blast to drive, the twin cam was sweet and free revving, the transmission smooth as silk. ....

The bad: A clutch cable that snapped .... A wheel that fell off the car on the highway,... Later in the spring, an oil pump, and water pump.

I have the same memories! :) As a poor college student I quickly jumped into figuring out how to do my own work, 'cause I wasn't going to give up the free revving 1.6 L (my first was a '72) regardless of the cost. :rolleyes: I can say that now however, my 124 is a real joy. This one is my third, and I've had it since the late '80s. I attribute this to simply experience and knowledge, since today I certainly know what not to do to avoid having wheels come off when driving. :)

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
I have the same memories! :)...since today I certainly know what not to do to avoid having wheels come off when driving. :)

Best regards,
Was it over tightening of the lug bolts? I seem to recall that the bolts were made of an alloy, and they were easily ruined by over tightening. After the wheel fell off, I kept a back up supply of lug bolts in the glove compartment.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nice Car!

Bob, I have a very similar '74 Spider. Same color, I have seen very few like it. Mine even has a very similar or identical front spoiler, aftermarket item. Mine does not look as nice as yours, needs some body work, but still drives very nicely when I can get time to get it out of the garage. I also own a '91 Alfa SPider, and I am amazed at how much more roomy the Fiat is inside, even though the exterior dimensions of the acr are sililar. SOme of that is from the knee bar onthe Alfa, but the Fiat in general is just roomier and easier to see out of with the quarter windows. Having my Alfa and driving that is now giving me the incentive to get my Fiat restored rather than selling it as initially I thought.

Thanks for posting the pics!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
my first car was a 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

white/red....neighbor took great care of it with me observing for years and then I bought it to go off to college - brought me so many great times!!!

Nowadays I am a big fan of the Alfa spider's....I just think the design is so dino-esque

great cars both of them!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, Paul - yes, I've been enjoying the 124S for many years.
I replaced the shocks and rebuilt the right front suspension and I will soon do the left.
I also replaced the rubber bushings in the trailing arms and the motor and transmission mounts.
The rest of the driveline is original - calipers, universals, clutch.
The gearbox shifts perfectly and has never been out.
The carburator, starter and alternator are original and NEVER been rebuilt.

My front spoiler is aftermarket. I put it on because the car would get light at speeds over 90.

I found the American Racing wheels at a foriegn auto parts store - NEW, for $25.00 each.

More to come!!!

Bob Z.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot to add - I also regularly drive a bright yellow 1967 Ferrari 330 GTC and a pine green 1967 ALFA GTV.

The FIAT invariably gets the most attention!! :):)

Go figure!

Bob Z.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts