Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
My god.. That's the other surviving car.. Reserve seems high though....
I can see having $75,000 or more invested in doing this car correctly. The problem with cars like these is so few people care about them, and even less are in a position to invest what is necessary to properly restore them. If this was a 750cc, 1100cc or 1500cc racing car from one of the better known "etceterini" marques (such as OSCA MT4), I could see someone spending as much $250,000.......but very few want a 50 horsepower street or "show" car, no mattter how rare.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I can see having $75,000 or more invested in doing this car correctly. The problem with cars like these is so few people care about them, and even less are in a position to invest what is necessary to properly restore them. If this was a 750cc, 1100cc or 1500cc racing car from one of the better known "etceterini" marques (such as OSCA MT4), I could see someone spending as much $250,000.......but very few want a 50 horsepower street or "show" car, no mattter how rare.
Stu, you're probably right- but I've started to bid on the car anyway. I've got an email out to the seller with some questions as well as a voicemail. We'll see what happens...

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Don:

I'd love to see someone who cares about these kinds of cars get it and properly restore it. Those of who do are few and far between. If I had a spare $75,000 to buy and restore it, I would bid on the car...but I don't.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hmmm...what's it worth?

Very cool car. Before I get carried away with thinking about buying this car, I'm wondering what the folks more familiar with this type of car thinks it worth? Not restored - as different people take different paths to a "restoration" (from driver to concourse), but in its current state? I understand its not from one of the more unusual marks, but still, one of 2, with a handbuilt aluminum body and very cool lines.

I know some of you are bidding and I'm not one to step on anyone's toes, so I won't, but I value this boards advice as some of you have a wealth of knowledge on these types of cars.

Thanks...Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
the other car which I saw 2 months ago could have been bought then for 60000 euros, In much much better condition... It is a fantastic car one of 3 made as 1100s, they made one 1900 as well I think, and it has to worth up to a +90000 euros concours in europe, more I think, but that is only me thinking.. I am Fiat fuoriserie biased....

Rear is different on theses cars..
by the way

Attachments

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Very cool car. Before I get carried away with thinking about buying this car, I'm wondering what the folks more familiar with this type of car thinks it worth? Not restored - as different people take different paths to a "restoration" (from driver to concourse), but in its current state? I understand its not from one of the more unusual marks, but still, one of 2, with a handbuilt aluminum body and very cool lines.

I know some of you are bidding and I'm not one to step on anyone's toes, so I won't, but I value this boards advice as some of you have a wealth of knowledge on these types of cars.

Thanks...Dan
The market for special bodied FIAT street cars and "show" cars is pretty small. It's worth whatever one person is willing to pay.

There are dozens of Italian coachbuilders that did a small series of cars on virtually every model of FIAT up through the 1970s. This car is based on an 1100/103. If the motor is "stock" it only produces about 45 horsepower. Even with a lot of "racing" type engine mods, you would only get about 75 horsepower. This car is very attractive, and only 1 of 2 with this body style, although the are about 15-20 more of Vignale bodied cars with coachwork similar to this car, including a Ferrari 375 that I would say is worth around 3 million dollars.

As far as "etceterinis", only the known marques are making big money; companies such as OSCA, Abarth, Stanguellini and Siata....especially cars with MM or TF history. If the car is a FIAT based "special" from the 750 or 1100cc class it is worth much less than a car of a generally known marque, EVEN IF it has a good racing history.

FIAT "Specials" with decent racing history start at about $75,000 in Pebble Beach concours condition. Racing cars of known marques (like an 1100cc Stanguellini with MM history, for example) have fetched $200,000+...big difference.

Street cars or show cars with a small displacement engine...who knows? Not many have been on the market..

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
the other car which I saw 2 months ago could have been bought then for 60000 euros, In much much better condition... It is a fantastic car one of 3 made as 1100s, they made one 1900 as well I think, and it has to worth up to a +90000 euros concours in europe, more I think, but that is only me thinking.. I am Fiat fuoriserie biased....

Rear is different on theses cars..
by the way
I have to disagree on your valuation, even though I love certain FIAT fuoriseries cars (not only Vignale).

I like this car very much, and if I were in the financial position to spend whatever I wanted, I could see myself paying $100,000 (but I like the rear treatment on the blue and grey car better) for this car totally restored correctly, but you, me, and 1 or 2 others would be the only ones who would in the whole world. Most would think we are nuts!

In general, I doubt if any 750 or 1100cc fuoriseries street or "show" car would bring more than $75,000 in Pebble Beach concours condition.

Now if it's a special bodied Ferrari or Maserati....

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Well, the market seems to grow - Seven bidders, icluding Don, Nik and myslef :)

Although I like the Italian one way better, I could drive up on the weekend and have a look at the car ... and give the Flaminia some exercise.

And to do this car justice, you should schlepp it to Beckman and have him do a full body restoration. Surely to cost way more than $75k alone.

Mike

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Well, the market seems to grow - Seven bidders, icluding Don, Nik and myslef :)

Although I like the Italian one way better, I could drive up on the weekend and have a look at the car ... and give the Flaminia some exercise.

And to do this car justice, you should schlepp it to Beckman and have him do a full body restoration. Surely to cost way more than $75k alone.

Mike
I'm amazed so many people are bidding on this car. It's up to almost $40,000!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While I agree with the dollar numbers posted here it seems the bidders think this car has or will have a much higher value. At the current bid (reserve not met??) the buyer will have $120k in it before its ready for the show.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
For archive purposes I'm placing a copy of the Ebay auctions details here.

--------------------------

Up for and auction is a 1953 Vignale Fiat 1100, this is a hand made aluminum bodied, prototype Fiat (2 Seat). (Markings on car: “Volante Nardi” and “Fiat 1100N” The front and rear windows are Plexiglas. The interior door handles, window cranks and trim are engraved. Best of my knowledge only 1-2 or two cars made. This car is very special! The car will be a center of attention in every collection. The car comes with an extra engine block and head.

The company here, (Toluca Lake Historics) restores vintage cars as well as build can-am and GT race cars for SCCA and the Lemans series. I am listing this prototype 1953 Vignale Fiat 1100 for one of our customers.

The car was last driven in 1967, and according to the people the owner bought it from, it was being driven from California to Seattle, when it blew a piston while passing through Salem, Oregon. (The car comes with an extra engine block and head) It has never been restored since the engine problem in 1967. The person who owned it when the piston blew claimed to be in the movie industry, and said the car had been in a movie. The elderly people I bought the car from could not remember clearly, but they thought the car had been in either an Alan Ladd or Kirk Douglas movie.

Some research was done after buying the car, from the fire wall plate, the research indicated that the car was made in 1953. That's about all the owner know’s about it, and it has been kept in storage since it was bought. Also, it appears that the original color of the car was a dark blue as evidenced by the color under the peeling red paint, and inside the door openings.

Regarding the drawings was made by Edgardo Michelotti, Giovanni's son, when he came over to England with his photographer Brambillo. Whilst taking a batch of photos of the sketches he mentioned that although many of the drawings were unsigned they were definitely done by his father and not another... often when completing a sketch he would simply draw a circle around it.

The owner of this Fiat had plans to totally restore the car to its original condition, but he simply has too many projects. His loss, your gain.

If you are a serious buyer, call me and I will be happy to awnser any questions you may have regarding this one of a kind Fiat.

I am a reputable eBay seller and have tried to describe everything about the car to the best of my knowledge. This car is being sold AS IS with no warranties of any kind expressed or implied. PRE-purchase inspections are welcome. (Notice the word PRE please). Your winning bid does not grant you the right to inspect the car afterward. This must be done prior to the end of my auction. I reserve the right to end the auction at any time due to local advertising. Happy bidding.
Please e-mail or call me regarding any detail questions, as I will have to ask the owner for specifics. Please, Serious inquires only. Sean 661-600-6653

$1500 NON-Refundable deposit is due via wire transfer or paypal no later than 2 days after the auction end and the remaining balance within 5 days after the auction end.

Winner is responsible for shipping cost, arrangement and pickup of the vehicle from Canoga Park, CA 91304. I will however, assist in any way necessary.

I reserve the right to end the auction at any time due to local advertising.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Happy bidding.
Call me with any questions. Sean 661-600-6653

------------------------

·
Registered
537 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts