Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo everybody,
I've just registered and I'm yet needing your help.
Some months ago I bought a Fiat 1100 EL Monterosa, 1950, and I'm restoring it. Does anybody have some pictures of its back, I need to know the correct position of rear light, because the ones it bears now are surely wrong.
Thanks for any help or comment. Bye Fabrizio.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My compliments Fabrizio. I was sure this was a 1400 and not a 1100, anyway the body was the same as documented on the catalogue. I attach you 2 period pics. I agree with you the rear lights aren't original, i 'm quite sure there were in 2 pieces or similar to the contemporary Fiat standard production.
I'll report to you very soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome

Ciao Fabrizio ,

And welcome on this forum , I'll ask to a friend of mine that is the owner of one of the biggest archive of books and vintage magazine that is in Italy .

If I'll have some info about your rear light I'll let you know

Ciao Nicolò

P.S. Gundun........

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've found something ( from my friend's archive ) but not so big helpful for you Fabrizio,one is more or less the same pict of PG from the original advert in Motor Italia 1950 , the second one is the Aprilia same period (1949) Monterosa , may be for the rear light was used the same kind of ....

Ciao

Nicolò

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you PG1964, I missed the beautiful brochure about an Elegance Concours; the other picture shows the 1951 model, with little differences from 1950 one, you can see in the first picture posted by Freccia d'oro (ndr...ciao Nicolò). Monterosa offered the same car both with 1100 EL and 1400 engine; I suppose the chassis was in both case the 1100 EL one, because the 1400 hadn't a proper chassis.
The Aprilia is very similar to the 1100B based from 1948, you can see in the following picture.
I try to add also some pictures of the VIN code and of the car in its actual condition; I do the restore work by myself, so it doesn't run. Luckily the car is much more sound and rust free than I was afraid of.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your idea, but I suppose those lights (from fiat 1400 B, not 1100), are not suitable on a 1950 car; actually in 1950 rear lights didn't included orange direction lights. I suppose my car had round rear lights as Fiat 1400 first series or Fiat 500C; these Carello items could fit with the wideness of tail fins. I've seen your thread about the supposed Stab.Farina 1100 for sale in Turin; I agree with your doubts and I'd like to know if the rear plate (UD 20337) we can see in the pictures you've posted is iron made or plastic made (as it seems from the picture). I want to remember that in 1949 italian plates were iron made and their dimension were different from those made after 1953; they were larger, with letters and numbers of different grafic. So, it would be necessary to see the plate to be sure, but from the picture it seems to be a copy. Anyway it looks like a very interesting and lovable car even if it wouldn't be a Stab.Farina.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm sorry Fabrizio, i was thinking again the car was a 1400....
There is a a rectangular hole on your car, so i looked for a rectangular chromed frame. Anyway, the light i posted before is contemporary.
Are you thinking about a round rear light like that in the attached photo?
I knew also Monterosa showed your car at Villa d'Este in 1949.

About the UD20337 plate, it's a copy plate, imho.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hallo PG, yes, this is the lights I suppose to suit with my car, or perhaps the similar (but slimmer) ones You can see also on other cars of the same period. The rectangular holes are not original, they have been made to receive Fiat 600 D lights after 1959, when the new Circulation Code forced cars to have direction lights. Thank for your help and kindness.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hello Fabrizio, i found this 1400 adv.
As you can see there is a round and single light on the rear.
Unfortunately, i didn't find any photo of the rear in the Michelotti's archives.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very muck PG...the picture you posted is the ..."rearest"...I found.
It confirm another lateral one I had that shows the same rear light, I suppose the same of 1400 berlina (I bought in Padoa last October) with a little base, or perhaps the fiat 500 C ones.
The car shown is a '51 model (without air intake on the front and with fog square lights), but I'm quite sure they haven't been changed from 1950.
Next spring I hope to have the car resprayed and to begin the assembling job.
Bye and thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts