Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Scott Emsey's 205-101 has a 2210 w/b. I don't know about the green car 205-102 or Elad's 205-103, nor the Fiat/103 Ghia car that I think McNamara owns.
Scott sold his car about 9 months ago...
I have been told thyat the Fischer Green Star is being restored, with an almost complete new body in italy.

·
Registered
537 Posts
scagliarini

I intend to see Signor Guido Scagliarini shortly.. Today he is 94.. He actually took over Cisitalia together with Carlo Abarth and his brother Carlo 1950 or 49.. As well as raced the Cisitalia team car 1948 and the 204A Abarths in 1950....

Please do mail me on [email protected] if you have questions you want to have me ask.. This will probably be the last chance. Saying that, I dont know how clear he is... That remains to be seen..

Nik Hannah

·
Registered
537 Posts
This is a picture I found on the web, This is 102 (my take), look how much more flat and less curved the whole front complex of the car... And the dead giveaway = the grill had only 4 slants!! vs. The 5 on 101 as well as 103. Worth noting, the picture in our original discussion, did had a 5 slant grill and no hood vents, thus we are probably looking at 103 (aside from the unique paint, as discussed) ===> case solved!

Thoughts?

Hi lads...

I dont think we have seen this picture have we?

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
205-102 post restoration. Too bad the front looks like 101 rather then the period look of 102.
Overall nice result bodywork wise from a butchered car originally, altough the roof line is off, and the rear section is not 102 as we can see in period pictures.
Congrats to the owner, valiant effort!

elad

·
Registered
107 Posts
Recently i bought this picture of my car (205-103). i think this is an official Abarth press photo, pre 1951 Turin show.

Here is a high res scan version:
Copy of Picture 002.jpg
elad

·
Registered
482 Posts
Recently i bought this picture of my car (205-103). i think this is an official Abarth press photo, pre 1951 Turin show.

View attachment 151963
elad
One can only wonder what was going through their minds, posing an exceptionally large horse next to the car.

Elad, more restoration photos would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
882 Posts

View attachment 151963
elad
The same car (I've read the thread, so to be clear with straight door cut and same side window trim, same wipers position, same body badge at the same place low on front fender, same colour scheme), seen from left side, features a CEAT tyres advertisement on cover of Auto Italiana N° 11 for 1-15 June 1950.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi all,
Here is an article i found re 205-102. Its in German, so use one of the translation services on the web. You do, however, get some funny sentences post, but the message and discussion is clear.

http://www.motor-klassik.de/oldtimer/abarth-205-gt-berlinetta-dreieinhalb-meter-grandezza-1495031.html

Just my opinion:
Somehow, some of he statements and historical attributions in this article dont sound right. We also have to remember how this car started (complete mess, Fischer Green Star).

Anyhow, thought this topic could use the info.

Rgds

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The owner of 205/102 is the same of a beautiful Astura cabriolet Boneschi. i've seen it at Villa d'Este 2008.
By the way, on the new book "Vignale and Michelotti" an 2009 ASI edition, there is this simple explanation: Vignale made 3 holes on the car side if the engine was under 3 liters and 4 if was bigger.
Did you know that?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Three portholes versus four portholes

It would seem that PG1964 is trying to get some commentary on a statement of dubious value? The idea of having a break-point in porthole count at certain displacement points is absurd. A larger car can feature additional portholes to be sure! Perhaps "absorb stylistically" would be a more accurate description?

One need only make a listing of Vignale-bodied cars that have four, three, two, one or none of the portholes to disprove this statement even if the displacement break-point is shifted and multiplied.

Whoops! Too late! It would seem that it is already "fact". This new myth has now appeared in a book and a magazine and online. We have to pity the future enthusiast who tries to make sense of history as interpreted by creative writers who seem determined to create a "scoop" if they cannot find one legitimately.

John

·
Registered
482 Posts
appreciation for PG1964

I greatly appreciate the participation in AlfaBB by PG1964, who started posting only last month. His comments are typically quite knowledgeable, insightful, informative and helpful. I hope that he will continue to post here.

Don

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thanks Don.
No problem, there was a misunderstanding only.
I would to share with you more informations is possible.
I agree with John, it's very strange that a book like that, written under the supervision of the Vignale's nephew, Alfredo Zanellato, reports "news" like that one (i would like to ask to him: if the engine was a 500cc, how many holes Vignale could open, an half?)
My last phrase was ironic, indeed.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The book talks about all the Vignale's production, but isn't complete. It has a good graphic, but unfortunatly is suitable to young readers.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts