Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am going to use my 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sedan for everyday. I have 3 main problems I need for sorting out which are:

1. Fuel is not being recieved in the engine. It is not reaching fuel filter. However, when petrol is put in fuel filter, the car starts at the first crank no problem, so nothing major there. I am guessing air in the fuel lines? How to solver this problem?

2. The car has been sitting it the garage for 4 years and the clutch is a stone, you have to litterally pull it up and down so it can move (this is the only reason I can't drive the car!). My main concern is the clutch sleeve. Does it need any lubricant or does it need to be changed completely?

3. Main headlights do not light up. Can anybody tell me what colour of wires are supposed to be connected where in the fuse box? Bec. I have some wires dangling!

That's it. Please, experts on Guilia Ti's please come forward and solve my problems!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I can answer to 1 and 2.

1-The older Alfa's have mechanical fuel pump attached to the side of the block and works with the oil pump. It will only deliver fuel when the engine is crancked. I am 95% sure that is your issue. Your fuel filter is placed after the fuel pump, that's why when adding fuel in the filter you are getting a temporary start.

2-It could also be the clutch master.You should also check the clutch slave, sometimes they can be be related.

Hope the information I gave you will help.

If you need the original Alfa Romeo fuel pump, I can tell you where to get it from.

Goodluck!!

Giorgio

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Jipstar,

As I recall, you have an MG engine in this car. Giorgio's response about the fuel pump is still valid though. You need to trace the fuel line back from the carb and see if you have an electric or a mechanical fuel pump. Could be the pump, could be power to the pump (if electric), could be clogged fuel lines, etc. As much as we want to see you get this car running, most of us are more familier with ALFA engines and aren't going to be much help with a BMC engine.

Your car has a mechanical clutch and Giorgio's comments refer to a hydraulic clutch so you don't have the master and slave cylinders that he refers to. Sounds like maybe you're missing the return spring for the clutch pedal. Have someone step on the clutch pedal while you look beneath the car. You should see a spring near the bottom of the pedal box that stretches when the pedal is pressed. Maybe this spring is missing or broken.

Do you still not have a manual? That would really help. Including a wiring diagram. The old Autobook Giulia Owner's Workshop Manual has the wiring diagram for a TI 1600 with the strip speedometer which I'll bet is the same as the 1300. That manual shows up on ebay pretty often for about $10. My drawing shows two 2.5mm green wires going to the right and left headlights. It looks like fuses 5&6 but they aren't numbered on the drawing. Good luck.

Bill

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm not sure if things changed between the '65 TI and the '67 Super/Duetto/etc, but there should be two fuses per headlight, no? One for low beams, one for high. On my 10-row box these are 7, 8, 9, and 10.

Also, re: problem #1, if the car has been sitting for 4 years I wonder if the fuel lines are gummed up before the fuel pump. I'd suggest going through the system starting at the the tank.

Best,
Aaron

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
I'm not sure if things changed between the '65 TI and the '67 Super/Duetto/etc, but there should be two fuses per headlight, no? One for low beams, one for high. On my 10-row box these are 7, 8, 9, and 10.
Aaron,

You are correct, two green wires and two grey. My diagram shows only 8 fuses on the TI though so I think it's 5,6,7,8.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
2. The car has been sitting it the garage for 4 years and the clutch is a stone, you have to litterally pull it up and down so it can move (this is the only reason I can't drive the car!). My main concern is the clutch sleeve. Does it need any lubricant or does it need to be changed completely?
The pedal pivot is seized. You can try spraying a lot of lubricant in there and work the pedal back & forth by hand (remove the clutch cable first) but you may have to remove the pedal box assembly and repair it on the bench. It is a common problem with cars that sit for long periods of time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clutch pedal problem solved, exactly as sprintgtc pointed out, eveything was seized up.

The other problem regarding petrol not getting pump up is that I guess a pipe is cloged up. Will be checking eveything tomorrow morning as soon as my buddy (engineer) comes along to help me with my problems!

Other problems are: front hood latch is not holding down. The cable is completely torn. What I have is the steel cable coming from the dashboard 'pull' mechanism which is loose (not holding to anything) and a small spring attached to the car's frame. The hood has two hooks that are supposed to attach to the frame. Can anybody help on this issue? Mybe post some pictures of their car's latch? Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Jipstar, Nice to see you're making some progress. I had the bonnet cable snap on my Berlina recently and needed to fix it quick to go on a trip i'd been planning for a while. I called into a local motorbike/scooter repair shop who had a whole array of cables for brakes and clutches, we had look thru and found one the right length and thickness then having got it home and the old inner cable out, fitted the new inner into the old outer casing:).
PS. check out the "Berlina fever" thread for some up to date Berlina pics from the recent National Alfa Day here in the UK.:D

·
Registered
992 Posts
Here's my .02 cents:

For the fuel issue you may want to change the fuel hoses. After time they can swell internally and cut off or limit the flow fuel. It's always wise to change rubber and hoses on a car that has been sitting for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts