Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alas, my Rip Snortin' Black Stallion 'Fetta SS (known from this point forward as Nero) has developed a bit of a rattle coming from the driveshaft area.

Here are the symptoms:

It becomes noticeable at lower RPMs. It's a circular rattling, if that makes sense. (sort of like a CV joint going but less grindy and constant). At higher RPMs it fades out or is less noticeable.

I did jack the beast up and found cracks in the donuts but nothing too serious, yet (they do need to be replaced sooner than later). I'm thinking it might be the driveshaft bearing.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
How loud is the sound? On a scale of 1 to 10, with one being "is that coming from my car?" and 10 being "STOP THE CAR!" how would you rate it when it's at it's worst? I had a trans mount(s) wear out and at low RPM the engine would torque the transaxle about, creating a rattling noise - it would then settle down after reaching higher revs. On my above scale, I would have rated it a 7 or 8.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On a scale of 1 - 10 it ranges from 1 - 4, at its worst 5 or 6. Not too terrible but noticeable.

I'll check the tranny mounts again, I recall them being in pretty good shape.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Hmmm....prolly not then, I'd go with the center driveshaft bearing lead suggested by italcarnut. Good luck - and let us know what you find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts