Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the stupidest thing you have ever done to your beloved little Alfa, in an attempt to repair her (maybe turning a smal project into a major repair), while driving her, or otherwise. The story I am about to share with you is maybe not so much a mess up, more of a slip up, but I'll use it anyway to get this thread started

It was in the winter of 1985-1986. I lived in Holland at that time, in an old city downtown close to one of those pretty canals, that many of you have only seen in pictures. The townhomes and appartments rarely have their own parking space, so one has to search for a public parking spot. I often parked next to the canal, also this time.

My GT Junior always started right up, provided that the battery was full. It never really wanted to charge well though, so after coming home, I always took it out (especially in the cold winters) an put it on a charger, so that if I needed to go somewhere next day, I could simply install the battery and would be good to go. A typical fund strapped college student solution!

On this particular evening, my then girlfriend and I were all dressed up, as we were about to attend a formal dinner party. Me in suit and tie, long coat.....she in coktail dress, fancy pantyhoses, high heeled shoes, you get the picture. So we walked to the Alfa, battery in hand, and I walked over to the driver side, near the water, to install the battery. I have to mention that it had been drizzling, and ducks had deposited their usual contribution. I did not notice though, and it was really slick. I suppose by now you guess what happened, I slipped, and fell into the freezing water of the canal. Luckily, the battery fell on the ground, and did not tumble into the water.

So I got out, all soaking wet, smelly and freezing. I quickly put the battery in, and went home for a shower and dry clothes. Obviously, I was not happy, suit wet, present that was in my pocket wet, we were going to be late, etc, etc. My girlfriend could not stop laughing though, even after I got out of the shower she was still lauging uncontrollably. I go a little annoyed by it, it is OK to laugh, even I could have laughed, but it has to stop some time

My laughing came later. When we we're sitting at my parents house, before going to the restaurant, my girlfriend's legs started itching.....she started scratching, and here pantyhose was disintegrating.....big gaping holes developed. What had happened is that when the battery hit the floor it cracked (which was a bummer obviously, I had not noticed it yet, it started just fine) and the acid came out under force and got onto her legs (it sprayed all the way under the car, she was standing on the passenger side!!!!..So she had to borrow a pantyhose from my mom (shops close there at night), who is quite a few sizes bigger....it was really funny to see it draped around her legs, and I could finally laugh.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
maybe I'm "safe" here from the loonies on the 164 side of the house. I do a LOT of dumb things but one really sticks out in my mind.

Couple years ago I replaced the clutch M/C and the hydraulics on Rossa. I was on the fence about swapping the hose that runs thru the firewall to the reservoir. Real PITA and I thought the old one was fine. Well, before sense prevailed and I changed it, I figured I'd blow it out to clear it of old fluid and any crud. So...being the highly trained mech that I am, I decided to use compressed air and blow the line. I wrapped the end under the dash with a rag then being prudent, put the wrapped end in a baggie as to catch any stuff that blew thru. Didn't want fluid under the dash or heaven forbid on the light gray carpet.

I didn't think to adjust the air pressure and shot 110 psi thru the line. After it blew the gunk out, it then blew the rag off as well as the baggie. I felt good that none of the resultant mess wound up under the dash or on the carpet. Nope, the seats made a nice repository for the crud. My pristine light gray velour seats. Denatured alcohol to the rescue. Some dummies eh? ciao jc

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
What is the stupidest thing you have ever done to your beloved little Alfa, in an attempt to repair her (maybe turning a smal project into a major repair), while driving her, or otherwise. The story I am about to share with you is maybe not so much a mess up, more of a slip up, but I'll use it anyway to get this thread started

It was in the winter of 1985-1986. I lived in Holland at that time, in an old city downtown close to one of those pretty canals, that many of you have only seen in pictures. The townhomes and appartments rarely have their own parking space, so one has to search for a public parking spot. I often parked next to the canal, also this time.

My GT Junior always started right up, provided that the battery was full. It never really wanted to charge well though, so after coming home, I always took it out (especially in the cold winters) an put it on a charger, so that if I needed to go somewhere next day, I could simply install the battery and would be good to go. A typical fund strapped college student solution!

On this particular evening, my then girlfriend and I were all dressed up, as we were about to attend a formal dinner party. Me in suit and tie, long coat.....she in coktail dress, fancy pantyhoses, high heeled shoes, you get the picture. So we walked to the Alfa, battery in hand, and I walked over to the driver side, near the water, to install the battery. I have to mention that it had been drizzling, and ducks had deposited their usual contribution. I did not notice though, and it was really slick. I suppose by now you guess what happened, I slipped, and fell into the freezing water of the canal. Luckily, the battery fell on the ground, and did not tumble into the water.

So I got out, all soaking wet, smelly and freezing. I quickly put the battery in, and went home for a shower and dry clothes. Obviously, I was not happy, suit wet, present that was in my pocket wet, we were going to be late, etc, etc. My girlfriend could not stop laughing though, even after I got out of the shower she was still lauging uncontrollably. I go a little annoyed by it, it is OK to laugh, even I could have laughed, but it has to stop some time

My laughing came later. When we we're sitting at my parents house, before going to the restaurant, my girlfriend's legs started itching.....she started scratching, and here pantyhose was disintegrating.....big gaping holes developed. What had happened is that when the battery hit the floor it cracked (which was a bummer obviously, I had not noticed it yet, it started just fine) and the acid came out under force and got onto her legs (it sprayed all the way under the car, she was standing on the passenger side!!!!..So she had to borrow a pantyhose from my mom (shops close there at night), who is quite a few sizes bigger....it was really funny to see it draped around her legs, and I could finally laugh.
Yeah, ahem, this post (and the thread title) is a copy of the first post in the link Cheryl provided.

So, I would not be surprised if what we see is either a troll or spammer at work -- or an April fool's joke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.