Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Terrific video with best engine sound ever!!!!
See here

On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had ... all » a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit.

The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground until a DVD release a few years ago

·
Registered
171 Posts
Terrific video with best engine sound ever!!!!
See here

On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had ... all » a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit.

The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground until a DVD release a few years ago
It was a Mercedes 450 SEL 6,9 litre which was used to make this movie! The sound was added. No 275 GTB involved. Have a look: http://www.lesfilms13.com/dea_a_z/envrac/lettre-r/rendezvous.htm

·
Registered
91 Posts
So it was a Merc after all. Suprising that the info about the car is not more widely available. Even the promotional material about the CD is unsure about the car IIRC. The photo in the link you posted settles it for me.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
So, everytime this forum is "down for maintenance" there are about a million posts removed and everything washed clean?

How nice...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Rendezvouz

Actually the shift points did not match the sound, but the driving was great. It never sounded authentic ferrari. However, what a wonderful idea, to drive whatever flat out to meet your girlfirend for morning Mass at Sacre Couer, especially one so beautiful and in good shape who could actually run up all those stairs. Lordy, Lordy, we grow so old fast.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Super Cool.. but I'm not sure that there were no injuries during ce film. Some of those extras...the pigeons, were moving a bit too slow...pigeon pie for the cast and crew that night...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Lordy, Lordy, we grow so old fast.

Yes , but its pleasant times to remember, when girls was girls, and Alfa Romeo had 4 cylinders and an ion block.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I saw a copy of the original video tape at a friends back in 1990. He said it was incredible and it was the best video. So many memories of that video and the man who had it. :D
There is a short bit at the beginning that is missing. The video that I remember shows the guy getting in the Ferrari, putting on some gloves and starting the car, the rest is the same.
I seriously doubt that you could do this again with out some serious accident or being arrested by the local police. (I was going to spell gendarme but I didn't know how) :) or a pile of red tape.

In college I was considering a motion picture major. One of the tricks we did was to mount a 16mm Arriflex on a vacumn mount to the side of a brand new GTV we borrowed from a local dealer (I had connections back then) and drove it down a mountain road. We also mounted it on the hood and then interspersed the two films with the male/female model we hired to do the acting parts. The films driving were awesome.
For those in the Santa Barbara area, we went down Old San Marcos Road off of San Marcos Pass.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Are we really sure it's not a Ferrari. The photo of the camera mounted on a Mercedes doesn't really prove anything because it's highly probably that the director would have tested the new gyro stabilized camera on something else before mounting it on a Ferrari.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Are we really sure it's not a Ferrari. The photo of the camera mounted on a Mercedes doesn't really prove anything because it's highly probably that the director would have tested the new gyro stabilized camera on something else before mounting it on a Ferrari.
The link provided by Boudewijn is an interview with this film maker who says that it was a Mercedes 6.9... and that he had one man with a radio to warn about a particular intersection as they approached.... Other than that, it was just an earliy morning run that due to film constraints demande to be shot in less than ten minutes..

·
Registered
501 Posts
Anyone who liked Rendezvous, will probably also like "Climb Dance" - a turbo Peugot 405 racing up Pike's Peak. The cinematography is sensational...

Search for it on Google Videeo or You Tube :)

~Benjamin

·
Registered
936 Posts
Anyone who liked Rendezvous, will probably also like "Climb Dance"
i was at pikes peak when they filmed that . . .

the Peugeot 405 T16 was sooo insanely fast compared to anything else there :eek: :eek:
closest i ever came to seeing a Group B rally car and driver in action, in person.

like "rendezvous," "climb dance" seems to have some odd sound synchronizing and dubbing :confused:
doesn't sound as sweet as the ferrari, either :D

cool video nontheless. great recommendation Benjamin.:cool:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I was there too - well, maybe not for the practice runs where it was filmed but on race day.

Made quite an impression - as much as anything after Vatanen had come through. IIRC there must have been a break after Vatanen's run as we were all able to go out on course and check out his tracks. The 405T16 had very sharp corners on the front spoiler and the road had been freshly graded for the race, leaving a little mound of dirt - maybe a foot high - all along the road. At least where I was well below tree line.

I was at a left-right-left S-bend and Vatanen came into view completely sideways, pivoted smartly to become sideways for the right before pivoting again and blasting out of sight the same way he had appeared - completely sideways.

When we went to check out his line, we found a little 1 - 2 foot long shallow (maybe an inch at the most) track in the berm where he had dragged his front wing through the dirt at each apex. Absolutely amazing precision.

The other thing I remember were the ground effects tunnels at the back of the Peugeots in the pits. I swear I could've crawled into one of them!

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts