Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow, sorry about that! Who needs a bunch of Ferrari big heads and their sad groupies prancing around stinking up the place? 250 GTOs are great cars with a rich history, but somewhere along the way they seem to have crossed the line from cars to false measurements of superiority. Many of the really honest drivers said that they were hell to drive, and yet folks are supposed to gape in awe, believing that these are the ultimate Ferrari. They seem so Hollywood... too much flash, an excess of bodywork and too much unjustified drama. That said, if anyone is giving one away, put me on the list. What a hypocrite!

·
Administrator
13,258 Posts
While I have never driven a 250GTO, you are incorrect with your statement that they were horrible to drive. Every period article I have read clearly states that for once Ferrari got this car right and they flatter the driver. A GTO is so well balanced that even on its skinny tyres it is nearly as fast as a competition Daytona on most tracks.

But yes the Testa Rossa was/is a piece of **** in corners, as Mike Hawthon clearly states in his auto biography.
Pete

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Wow, sorry about that! Who needs a bunch of Ferrari big heads and their sad groupies prancing around stinking up the place?
Don't be too harsh. I hear they're going to let people kiss their rings this year :rolleyes:

(Yes, some pos ... err ... owners tend to rub me too the wrong way ...)

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
not that i could afford a ferrari but even if i could i probably would not buy one but never say never.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not that i could afford a ferrari but even if i could i probably would not buy one but never say never.

Just because I, or you, cannot afford a 250GTO does not mean we cannot admire and appreciate the art and the engineering.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Just because I, or you, cannot afford a 250GTO does not mean we cannot admire and appreciate the art and the engineering.
i appreciate all cars especially ferrari's (more so the older ones).

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yawn .......
Alex,

Does "yawn" mean you are bored or boring?

Are we bored by the Mona Lisa by Leonardo or Night Watch by Rembrandt because we cannot afford to own them? Are we required to like the owners of these works of art to like the art itself?

I say no, we do not need to like the owners to admire and appreciate the art itself and the art can be beyond our means but still be admirable.

The Ferrari 250GTO stands on its own as a splendid automotive work of art independent of the current owners or the current value. The people who created this masterpiece were great engineers and designers and they deserve our recognition and appreciation as lovers of car art.

·
Administrator
13,258 Posts
.....wasn't it the GTO that the GT40 crushed?
The GT40 beat the P4, the Cobra raced against the GTO.

A lot of Ferrari owners are wankers, but there are a few like Nick Mason who have owned theirs because they actually like the car, not just because of what it is and what it cost, and what group they can join, etc.
Pete

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Well, I dunno, but I get easily as excited over a 250GTO as I get over a Lancia Appia Berlina ... You either love those cars or you don't ... Who cares about the ownership demographic? ...

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Well, I dunno, but I get easily as excited over a 250GTO as I get over a Lancia Appia Berlina ... You either love those cars or you don't ... Who cares about the ownership demographic? ...
I'm completely with Mike on this one. Rather than rosso corsa, these might as well be painted Envy Green for all the misdirected hate we're reading here.

Does anyone taking these pot shots about posers personally know anyone who owns one of these? And anyway hating a car because you've convinced yourself that the owners aren't as worthy as you are is simply an ugly way to look at beautiful cars.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Does anyone taking these pot shots about posers personally know anyone who owns one of these? And anyway hating a car because you've convinced yourself that the owners aren't as worthy as you are is simply an ugly way to look at beautiful cars.
Ed,
Very well stated!

·
Administrator
13,258 Posts
So the Daytona Coupe kicked it's a..?:) Sorry couldn't resist. I love the look of these over priced horsies!
;) ... maybe, but a 250GTO finished 2nd OVERALL at Le Mans :).

BTW the Cobra started as a AC Ace which body style was a rip off of a Ferrari 166. Tojerio admits this in one of my fathers books (Tojeiro - Motorbase).

Anyway it is not the manufacturer that matters but whether their end result is any good ... some Fords are great and a few Ferraris, etc.
Pete

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Does anyone taking these pot shots about posers personally know anyone who owns one of these?
It's of course not fair to characterize everyone with a very expensive or rare collector's vehicle as d!ckheads. There are luckily quite a few well off guys who also happen to be real car nuts and down-to-earth guys. All the more power to them.

However, I've been the paddock manager for the biggest yearly turnout of classics and racers around these parts for the last six years, and the endless discussions and adamant feelings of entitlement ALWAYS comes from the owners of rare and/or expensive rigs or those who are ... well .. a little better off.

When the car's finally parked "somewhere special" (not among the rest of the marque!), the owners disappear for the duration. The only thing that's left is perhaps a sign with "Don't touch the car". Nobody's around to answer questions or to watch over it ( "the staff takes care of that" - namely me).

Envy? No. Disappointment? Yes.

A 250 GTO - like e.g. the Koenigseggs and the Pagani Zondas - have long since left the sphere of reality and thus - to me - becomes a bit uninteresting as cars. They could just as well be displaying authentic Fabergé eggs.

And of course: anecdotes aren't data, your mileage may vary, jadda jadda, bla bla bla ...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I remember going to the Goodwood revival meeting back in 2002, and amongst all the other fantastic classic cars being raced, and I mean seriously expensive cars from all the makes we love, there were a number of 250 GTOs being raced hard, no show ponies were these. The owners/drivers clearly loving the opportunity to use such cars as they were designed and intended.

I also recall seeing up close and personal both a red real one, and JK's (Jimiraquoi) Fly yellow recreation parked out in the car park, amongst Fiat Puntos, and other normal cars. The sight of even JK's rep was awesome. JK came punting over to his car, late in the afternoon as my brother in law and myself were drooling over it, casually saying "got to go guys, its a nice car". Launching himself into it, the fabulous V12 roared into life and with a wave he flew off down the road. Would I love one, hell yes, could I possibly ever own one, no. I do have a Burago model of Nick Masons.

I think the real problem is events such as Pebble Beach, rather than the actual car itself. Pebble Beach IMO is for wankers, with flash owners of even more flashier cars. Most, are likely to have any serious interest in the car, beyond posing with them, having their photographs taken and trying to outscore another contender. They simply are investments to be bought and sold.

The GTO was intended to be a race car, it was, it won and in my humble opinion is a victim of its success. Just in a way that the Dino too is such a victim. So utterly gorgeous, to look at and drive in. The engine note on full song spine tingling. I know as I have had a number of drives in a Dino and to me they are my pinnacle, even though I know I will never own one of these also. So, for me if the means are ever there, I will buy a Fiat Dino coupe and be very happy. However, for now I love my Alfas :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts