Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the front brakes on my Alfa tonight, and the material that was just taken off was what I believe to be original, dark gray/black with Ferodo stamped across it. Well I had all the shoes relined with ferodo original type material, but this material is a light tan woven type material with what looks to be copper hairs in it. Could the originals that was taken off the car have turned colors over the years and that’s why I'm seeing a difference? The one's taken off the car didn't look to be woven either. I just want to be sure I have the correct material.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,891 Posts
I believe your new material will work fine. The older material contained asbestos, and is not used (much) anymore. Most of the older spiders seem to stop best with the woven material. For more information send a PM to George Kraus, "my spider project is nearing completion" thread, in this section. He had trouble early on with the solid bonded lining, and went to the woven style. He can probably offer as much advice on the subject as required.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Greg
You may find it tough fitting those steel shoes onto the front brake assemblies ... OK - Cheap humor.
If your new lining is the same as pictured on those steel rear brake shoes ... you're all set.
The woven linings stop well, dissipate heat well, and do not wear the drum surface excessively as do many of the substitute materials.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I believe your new material will work fine. The older material contained asbestos, and is not used (much) anymore. Most of the older spiders seem to stop best with the woven material. For more information send a PM to George Kraus, "my spider project is nearing completion" thread, in this section. He had trouble early on with the solid bonded lining, and went to the woven style. He can probably offer as much advice on the subject as required.
Greg, Gordon abd Alfista Sapien are correct. The material on the old linings contained asbestos, and your newly woven relined shoes don't. That is same material I ended up with. Works very well. http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/50443-my-veloce-restoration-nearing-completion.html

George

·
Super Moderator
11,891 Posts
That's what I needed! The VOICE OF EXPERIENCE! Thanks George.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts