Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For some reason my car has 2 Borranis and 3 Fergats (or the other way around). I have a 58 Sprint Normale, which are the correct ones? Or could they both be correct?

Of course I would like to have a matching set. Are ones more easy to find than others, or more valuable for some reason?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
"Generally" a normale would have Fergats, but as has been discussed many times here, they came with either. It all depended on which ones Alfa had in stock on a given day. The Borranis are the ones with oval holes, and the Fergats are the ones with more triangular holes.

I would say, keep the ones you have 4 of and trade the other 2 for the other brand, so you have 6 that are the same. It seems to me that the Borranis are worth a bit more, but it is all a matter of what someone needs (and the condition).

Scott

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mistake, I have 3 and 2, not 4 and 2, a typo clearly. Thanks for the response Scott.

·
Premium Member
22,633 Posts
My 60 Veloce has five Fergat, believed to be original, as the car had one owner for its first 40 years, then two knowledgeable Alfa collectors unlikely to pilfer, then me.
Andrew

·
Registered
313 Posts
Giulietta wheels

As Scott suggests this has been discussed at length on the BB and elsewhere. Maybe because of the association to the sexy wire wheels of which Borrani is nearly the only maker that comes to mind (on Italian cars), and maybe as it has been discussed that Borrani steel wheels perform better in racing than Fergat's, maybe it's these reasons that there is an association with Borrani's and Veloce's, maybe. I do not think there is any evidence for the association to be correct. The Borrani's seemed to be more common on the last year or so of Giulietta/Giulia production and it seemed like a lot of Veloce's (spiders) came at the end, maybe suggesting an association. But I've seen Veloce's (and SS's) with Fergat and normale's with Borrani's. Many people prefer Borrani and they are great wheels but not more correct than Fergat on specific version of the Giulietta/Giulia (other than the unique one made for the SZ). Andrew's car is a good example.

Dan

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. I will look to confirm of which I have 3, and will probably be looking to trade / buy 2 of the others.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I have, just by chance, two of each on my car and would welcome a trade. The car is in CA where are you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This mixing and matching must have been popular, because my '58 Spider Normale has 2 of 1 kind and 3 of another also. Or maybe it was just out of necessity by what was available at the time.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it turns out I have 2 Borrani and 3 Fergat. The Fergat are dated 9/58 which could mean they are original to my car, delivered in 1959. So what I would like to find are 2 more Fergats dated 9/58. That will make the trade a little more difficult, but who knows, I might find them...

Pictures are too large to post here so if anyone wants to see them, my email is in a previous post.

Any idea how much I could sell a pair of good Borrani that require re-finishing?

Thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
Giulietta wheels

The prices of undamaged wheels that need paint has been all over the map in recent years. I'd say over $100 each, maybe closer to $200 but don't hold me to that. They show up on ebay every now and then but I don't remember the numbers they have gotten.

I have several Fergat wheels, I can look at the dates. If I have similar dates I would be happy to trade if you don't have luck elsewhere. I won't get to my storage for a week or more though. Let me know if you want me to look. I am in Southern California.

Good luck. D

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The prices of undamaged wheels that need paint has been all over the map in recent years. I'd say over $100 each, maybe closer to $200 but don't hold me to that. They show up on ebay every now and then but I don't remember the numbers they have gotten.

I have several Fergat wheels, I can look at the dates. If I have similar dates I would be happy to trade if you don't have luck elsewhere. I won't get to my storage for a week or more though. Let me know if you want me to look. I am in Southern California.

Good luck. D
Thanks Dan, please do take a look at the dates when you have a chance

·
Registered
226 Posts
trade for studded fergats

This mixing and matching must have been popular, because my '58 Spider Normale has 2 of 1 kind and 3 of another also. Or maybe it was just out of necessity by what was available at the time.
Mach5rider,
Hmmmmm...I wonder about that, WHY would they be mismatched on purpose they are different looking designs. I might suggest some one hit a curb and bent the two which were replaced with what was available?
A question to all? how many have the short studs on the insides for balance weights and what are mixes in each group?

I have 3 fergats stamped on the drop center(valley) of each rim: 41/2"x15/57. I assume the 57 is the year and another wheel stamped 41/2"x15/8 .... again I assume the /8 is the year.

Borranis are stamped on the wheel bolt flange but I don't know if the sizes or years are stamped and where.

The /8 does not have the studs as does one of the /57's
I would like to trade the non stud wheels for studded ones stamped /57or /8.
My car is a 59 and would like to put together a matching set....preferably a studded one. all were sand blasted and await final clean up and powder coat
I'm in So Cal also

·
Registered
127 Posts
Alfaross69,
you're thinking along the lines I was too. early Alfistis must have just used what was available at the time and without people on the internet to jostle them about not matching, they were happy as long as the two on each side matched.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts