Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point in time, my 71 GTV had fender mounted side mirrors installed. The old mounting holes are still there. The car is a euro spec car(105.44) but Jim(in the library) told me that he never heard of cars coming from the factory like that. I know Japan had laws concerning forward mirrors, but this car has spent it's entire life in Canada, up until I bought it.
Are there any photos out there showing Alfas with forward mirrors? It would be interesting to see how the car looks.
Also what's the consensus on passenger(door mounted) side mirrors? My car doesn't have one right now, but I am thinking of adding one.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Fender mounted mirrors eliminate blind spots, they just don't look quite so nice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Re door mounted mirrors: my GTV 2000 has what I believe to be the original, circular 'Ital' rear-view mirror with flat glass on the drivers door and the view is, well, dreadful. I have bought a mirror fitted to 70's cars such as the MGB from RatSport.. They come in left and right hands, convex or flat. I've gone for convex.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have a pair of Talbot mirrors on my fenders. They are absolutly useless. I will post a picture when I get home.

Will

·
Registered
254 Posts
My 105.30 has a wing mounted round Hella-mirror, probably installed here in Denmark in 1966 when the car was new. I am not a big fan of it, but I think it "belongs" to the car, so it stays there...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
From all these posts it seems that all fender or door mounted mirrors were an add on or after thought and really don't so much. My 1963 Impala had fender mounted mirrors and a P.O. in the 70's swapped them to the door. Well you can only see the door and your arm through the thing so when I complete some minor body work soon they will either go away or go to the fender.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I looked around but could not find anything better... Here's a picture of a GTA1300Junior w/ Vitaloni Sebring mounted in the "common place". We had the same setup on my mother's GTAJr and GTJr but it is totally useless IMHO except to pass biannual government inspections. I remember seeing a period picture of a GTA, driven by Jochen Rindt, with the Sebring in the same location... Edit: Never mind, I found the picture online and here it is (the second one).

That's a common place to mount a Vitaloni Sebring mirror.

tavmirror

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the photos and opinions! I think I'll stick with the door mounted mirrors. They may not offer the best views, but they are a cleaner look than the fender mounts(no offense to those with that style!) I think I'll keep my eye out for another mirror to mount on the pass. door. I know it may not be traditional, but I've always felt a car with only one side mirror looks out of balance.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If I could go back to the door mounted mirror, I would. I can see where the mounting holes are, but I would need to make the holes in the fenders disappear completely, but thats hard to do with original paint.

Will

1 - 15 of 15 Posts