Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a little something i came up with....

Translation:

(top part) Ultimate Italian Machine
(lower part) Experience like no other
 

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
Joined
·
4,364 Posts
Hey LBC,

The term "Photochop" is derogatory and offensive to design professionals that earn their living using Adobe Photoshop (tm). A post with that in the title is what I would expect on some "rice" forums (yeah, I have a WRX in addition to my gaggle of Alfas) but not here.

You do very nice work, so why degrade yourself like that?

Rant Over :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
JoeCab said:
The term "Photochop" is derogatory and offensive to design professionals that earn their living using Adobe Photoshop (tm).
Haha.. never heard that term before, sounds funny to me...

Never thought of I am making a living by "chopping" stuff... well, I mean doing Photoshop renderings . ;)

BTW, nice graphics, LBC
I would replace the color of the text with an Alfa Red though ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JoeCab said:
Hey LBC,

The term "Photochop" is derogatory and offensive to design professionals that earn their living using Adobe Photoshop (tm). A post with that in the title is what I would expect on some "rice" forums (yeah, I have a WRX in addition to my gaggle of Alfas) but not here.

You do very nice work, so why degrade yourself like that?

Rant Over :)
Personally, Ill have to disagree with you on that def. I think they are many def. for the word "photochop". The way I look at it, "photo" representing a graphic to start out with, and "chop" as editing the graphic to the way you want it to look like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alfa_chan said:

BTW, nice graphics, LBC
I would replace the color of the text with an Alfa Red though ;)
Thx's! Im starting to play around less with CAD programs, and more grahic editing programs. Im still a noobie at it though ;)
 

·
Supporting Vendor
Joined
·
4,364 Posts
LBC,

Sorry... I still have to disagree with your definition.

Today I spent a large amount of time editing a photo for a client in Photoshop. The photo was of a 4-year-old girl who recently died - it was being used in her memorial service. Although it was a professionally taken photo it needed work to remove scars from her face from operations and adjust her skin tone which was very yellow due to here illness. It was being output at 24" x 36" @ 600dpi - there's not much room for sloppiness at that resolution.

I don't feel there was any "chopping" about that job.
 

·
Supporting Vendor
Joined
·
4,364 Posts
LBC,

I do have to say the graphic you posted (and your web site, for that matter) are very nicely done!
 

·
Admin
Joined
·
4,862 Posts
I actually thought when I first read his post that LBC made a typo. I'm a Photoshop user myself and have been using it since version 2.0 and have heard it called all kinds of things thru the years. But this was the first time that I've heard anyone refer to it as PHOTOCHOPING.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JoeCab said:
LBC,

I do have to say the graphic you posted (and your web site, for that matter) are very nicely done!
Oh hey thanks! Thats just some of the simple work I do, im actually skilled as a mechanical designer (laid off also know anybody whos looking for one?), just draw lines and solid boxes ;)

Sorry about offending you about the whole photochopping thing. I would understand somebody as experienced as you taking it as an insult.
 

·
Supporting Vendor
Joined
·
4,364 Posts
LBC,

I didn't mean to rant against you specifically. I see this term used all the time on I-club.com and other forums and it's always bothered me.

I guess you just caught me on an ornery day:)

I certainly admire your skills with CAD, that's something I'd love to learn how to do. My wife is an engineer (chem e) and has limited work experience with AutoCad and really enjoyed it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JoeCab said:
LBC,

I didn't mean to rant against you specifically. I see this term used all the time on I-club.com and other forums and it's always bothered me.

I guess you just caught me on an ornery day:)

I certainly admire your skills with CAD, that's something I'd love to learn how to do. My wife is an engineer (chem e) and has limited work experience with AutoCad and really enjoyed it.
Thats really cool, I went to a vocational high school when I was younger and took up machine drafting for 3 years, learned CADKey and Autocad there. When I was working they sent me to get a Pro/E certficate. Now there no Autocad or Pro/E jobs out there, so im forking over $1700 to get an advanced cert. in a CAD program called SolidWorks, since alot of employers are changing over to that, since it has the same capabilities as Pro/E but $10,000 less for a workstation. Hopefully, ill score a job after I get my cert.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
LBC said:
so im forking over $1700 to get an advanced cert. in a CAD program called SolidWorks, since alot of employers are changing over to that, since it has the same capabilities as Pro/E but $10,000 less for a workstation. Hopefully, ill score a job after I get my cert.
LBC, where do you get certified in SolidWorks?

I took some classes of SolidWorks in school, kinda fun. My dad is using it for his company (which dropped AutoCAD long time ago)
The ability to assemble parts together is just so cool... going straight from a 3D "rendering" to CNC or RPT is just awesome ...

I'm more proficient in Alias|Wavefront AutoStudio (Car/Transportation design) than in SolidWorks (Product/Industrial design) though

I wanna get certified in both programs, but AW AutoStudio cert will set me back about $9,000. I was told for that price I could get certified in CATIA already.

Do you know about the website Net-temps.com ? A lot of job openings for mechanical drafting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
alfa_chan said:
LBC, where do you get certified in SolidWorks?

I took some classes of SolidWorks in school, kinda fun. My dad is using it for his company (which dropped AutoCAD long time ago)
The ability to assemble parts together is just so cool... going straight from a 3D "rendering" to CNC or RPT is just awesome ...

I'm more proficient in Alias|Wavefront AutoStudio (Car/Transportation design) than in SolidWorks (Product/Industrial design) though

I wanna get certified in both programs, but AW AutoStudio cert will set me back about $9,000. I was told for that price I could get certified in CATIA already.

Do you know about the website Net-temps.com ? A lot of job openings for mechanical drafting.
Im going to a solidworks certified reseller/training center about 5 miles away from where I live, Its called R & D Tech. (www.rnd-tech.com).

Im a Pro/E guy since I used it for 2 years and fully certified by PTC for V.2001. Now a days, everybody wants solidworks! Even though Solidworks is a knockoff of Pro/E, I shouldent really have any problems with it. All I need is that piece of paper saying Solidworks has certified me to use it so I can get a job! Most places that use parametric CAD programs wont even look at you if dont have at least 2500 hrs. on the system or a certification (that was the case with Pro/E). Ive made friends with alot of temp recruiters out there and alot of thease companys want to go over to solidworks.

Net-temps.com is a really good website for job serch, only problem is since im only 20 years old and have a 2 year degree in mechanical engineering, have a little over a year of job experience, so I can only score a Drafting-II or Drafting-III position. The good part is im seeing more jobs on monster, net temps, dice, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
LBC said:
Im going to a solidworks certified reseller/training center about 5 miles away from where I live, Its called R & D Tech. (www.rnd-tech.com).
Net-temps.com is a really good website for job serch, only problem is since im only 20 years old and have a 2 year degree in mechanical engineering, have a little over a year of job experience, so I can only score a Drafting-II or Drafting-III position. The good part is im seeing more jobs on monster, net temps, dice, etc...
Cool!! Good luck on your job search. Maybe I should not get certified than (I don't have enough experience on SolidWorks anyway). Rather concentrate on my own field and hope the economy will get better.

Thx for reminding me the Dice.com, I remember that website but forgot about the name. THx :D
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top