Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out driving my spider today and came across 3 Miatas and they all honked and waved at me. I thought only Alfa drivers to this, not Miata drivers. What gives?? Anyways, we were all out with the same purpose and who cares what make of your spider, just as long you're doing in it with "topless".

Have a great weekend, guys & gals!!

Q-man
78 - Spider
BTW, my spider still puff now & then...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm glad some of the Miata owners are friendly. The local "miatarians" here in Sarnia, Ontario, are not as nice.
I honk and wave all the time - optimistic that they're getting the same permasmile I am, but alas - they just frown at me or worse. Late one night, at a red light, one Miata guy said, "why don't you sell that piece of junk and get a real roadster!".
So I promptly showed him what an old (Old! Old my arse, it's a friggin 1988!) Italian sports car can do. My VVT kicked in on every gear, and by the time I slammed my crippled transmission into 4th, he was two car lengths behind me and still pushing his hairstylist-mobile to redline.
The best part is as I approached the next set of lights I noticed a CrownVictoria with writing on the side to the right.
As the light turned green, Miataboy, just approaching from behind, jumped his accellerator - I was at a dead stop.
The cop pulled us both over and - not a word of a lie - gave him a ticket, and walked around my car once, and said, "Classic. Take good care of it. Have a nice night."
The BMW Z3 guys are also a bit snobby towards me, but the best thing is that Ive been "pulled over" twice by Ferrari owners making contacts with fellow Italian car owners.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Miata Drivers

You know, it's been a pretty nice summer here in Georgia, not sweltering hot and humid like most summers. Perfect top down driving weather. One thing I've noticed driving around is Miata owners(and Z3 owners for that matter), rarely turn off the A/C and put the top down. What's up with that? I also find them to be a bit snobby around here. Must be jealous, I guess....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well it's not from jealous, but Z3 and Miata are exactly same value to me. We call Z3 or even M3: German Miata. In general, BMWs are equal to Acura or Lexus, and they really are...( I've driven and been various BMWs include M3 3 series, but don't forget, they're just my friend's and it's just my opinion)

Anyway, I agree with Q-man, it's all depends who they are, not what they are. Some people make others really smile, I like those people very much and am trying to be like that.

I was in my spider in the parking lot, and taking a tea break with my wife. As I heard very low thick sound, it was 575 Maranello, and he parked right next to me (was only 5 cars lot). His wife first said "I always love Spider, very beautiful line". He said "we have the same designer". They're very friendly and we started talking about F1, etc. And he showed me the engine, etc...

Well my point is that some people make others really smile!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey Guys

I was at the tail of the dragon on saturday in my 91 spider and there were about 500 Miatas there, and they were for the most part friendly. I had the occasional look but quite a few younger drivers had not ever seen an alfa in person. If you curve lovers want a wild ride you need to plan a trip here.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well, people can be nice or jerks, regardless of what they drive.

I used to own a 1988 Spider 2000 - and when I moved to NYC I had to sell it. Several years later - when I moved away from the city - I went for a 1993 Miata that I still have.

Both are great cars - different personalities. The Alfa looks better, has more leg room and the engine noise is great. The Miata handles better (years of advances in technology will do that for you), is much more reliable and the newer ones (big engines, unlike the old small engine mine has) will be faster. I suspect that even the 1.6L Miata is as fast as the 2000 Spider I had.

As a daily driver and/or an autocross/track tool - which is what my car is, a Miata is, in my opinion, a much better choice. As something special to enjoy - it's a matter of the heart.

I would love to own another Spider at some point - but since I already have 2 roadsters - I think that a Giulia or a 2002tii will be the new car to join my garage space.

Ron.
--
'93 Miata
'02 Impreza TS
'00 Birkin S3

·
Registered
325 Posts
Whats a Birkin S3?

I agree with you...its all in the person. Why, I was a jerk pre-Alfa and post-Alfa. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts