Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an annoying, at best, and potentially dangerous recurring problem with the fuse tray on my '89 Veloce, L.H. drive. As yet I've not discovered the secret to keep the little feller in his seat belt, if he has one, and he has a nasty fallout trick of dropping into the constricted space where my size elevens want to work the clutch and brake pedals. :scared: Can't recall ever having the agility necessary to arch my spine up over the threshold, down into the foot well, under the steering wheel, avoiding the pedals, and to contort my neck and head up, around and into the deathly hallows under the dash. Thought I might have to call for The Jaws of Life to extricate me when I tried! Does anyone have photos, clear and clean diagrams, or some other manner to help me understand what I must do to secure the tray using only my tactile sense. It's the wisdom of those on this bb who’ve gone before that keep me going to keep my Spider going to keep me going. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Don't know if your '89 is the old style fuse box (VW or bullet style). If it is,you don't have to be in the car. Kneel outside and poke your head in. On each top end of the fuse box is a nipple. The right hand side fits into a hole in the metal bracing. The left hand side snaps into a white plastic open clip. My plastic clip broke and the box is now secured by a plastic wire tie on the left side.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"... and the box is now secured by a plastic wire tie on the left side. " John Gallagher

John, I apologize for my tardy response to your helpful suggestion. I suspect that there are some broken clips in mine. It isn't possible to see how the fuse tray is held in place, however, I've done a good bit of braille fumbling up there without much to show for the effort. There is a folding wire bracket on the side of the tray that I am guessing goes closest to the firewall. If the tray were completely out of the vehicle it would make a great carry handle. The side closest to the driver has pins to the right and left that, again guessing, ought to snap into clips behind the facade or fascia that drops down from the dash. There isn't anything to retain the handle or the pins in any proper way, so guess I'll need to figure out some sort of jury-rig to hold it in, yet allow access to the fuses. Thanks for your tip, but I can't feel any suitable appendage to link and secure the tray with multipurpose plastic ties. Maybe the Alfa Repair Muse will visit in my dreams and bring a solution. Thanks, John.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Haven't a clue as to what you are describing, sorry. Are the fuses the old bullet style, aka VW or German? I suspect you have the newer style fuses and box (spade). I am not familiar with the new style.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
here is mine, the first photo is the left (facing view) with the box snapped in its mounting and cover in place, kept closed by the keeper I made, second photo the right side mounting, which is plugged into place first, with the lid open for clarity. Both the spade and ceramic fuseboxes use the same mountings on the S-3.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts