Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a spider , late sevevnties or eighties.
Has any one solved the problem of the peddles being too close together.
Can you get after market peddles to fix this.
Also I need a buyers guide on what to look for in each year and model.
What can be done to get more horse power from the engine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have pretty wide feet (size 13), and you just learn how to deal with it. :)

I end up with my right foot angled such that I push the accelerator from below the brake pedal.

Pick up a copy of the Alfa Romeo Owner's Bible by Pat Braden. Also, read this: http://spiderfaq.home.att.net/dev_his.htm

Other than that, use the search function above and you'll find lots of info on this board (including what I've already mentioned). :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I braced the pedal extensions at the top and bent both the clutch and brake extensions for a custrom fit.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Mike is. my actual shoe size is 12 1/2 EEE, the biggest problem I've had is the tip of my shoe catching under the dash.
Found that I do best with sneakers, at least something with a round tip as opposed to a square one.

Guy

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
13 EEEE here. Not much of a problem when wearing tennis shoes. One aggravation is that I too angle my foot to the gas pedal. At first I would end up gettimg my foot stuck between the brake & gas pedals. As I grew accustomed to driving that problem is no more. You'll adapt.

Now driving an MG Midget is another story.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My friend has an MG Midget... getting into and out of it is a feat which seemingly defies physics.

Also, managing to look completely straight while riding in it with another guy, is also difficult. :p

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yo feets too big

You need some skinny shoes. Styles have changed a bit since these cars came out and they changed slower in Italy. Something with a width close to regular driving shoes.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have a bit of a problem (UK size 11 - USA 12 Eur45) - I can only drive the spider in certain shoes - if I were my steeltoecap Cats, or riggers, then I cant drive it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In the summertime, I often drive barefoot and just bring flips with me. It's nice even when it gets chilly. You just turn the heater on and point it to the floor vents. It's not much, but right on your bare feet it's pretty nice still.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
In the summertime, I often drive barefoot and just bring flips with me. It's nice even when it gets chilly. You just turn the heater on and point it to the floor vents. It's not much, but right on your bare feet it's pretty nice still.
I like to do that too, but on longer drives, even without the heating on, it gets so darn hot down there!:eek::eek:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maybe you need to replace a heat shield or some of the padding under the carpet? I've only driven a Duetto once, and for a short period of time (with shoes on). Maybe it's an issue with them?

/jealous of the duetto. :)

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
In Italy, that would be illegal!! Dont know about here, although, in FL, need shoes.....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sperry Top Siders work well. Anything with a thin sole and rounded ends works well. Driving with tennis shoes gets my feet stuck between pedals if I am not careful. Really, it just takes a little getting used to no matter what shoes you wear. I think I will get some Pilotis soon though. :cool:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
There's nothing quite like hitting the brake pedal and having the edge of my wide foot hit the accelerator, too. Barefoot and convertibles go together!

·
Registered
169 Posts
From another new poster, but longtime owner. I've had a problem with the space issue too, even with relatively small feet (US 9, European 42), as well as the heat. I have to be careful with shoes and placement, but driving's still worth it. On the heat, I had theorized that high temp aluminum paint, from the local paint supplier, on the exhaust might help cure the problem, so when I replaced the exhaust, I did that. It made a dramatic difference, so last winter I did the manifold as well, which notably improved under-hood temperatures and seems to have cured a lingering gasoline smell on hot days.
I simply hand sanded, carefully, and (crudely) used a brush to apply the paint. The hardest part of the job was refitting the manifold, which required my wife's thinner fingers to guide from above while I pushed from below. Looks a lot better than the old rusty surface. The picture is after 6 months and 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
492 Posts
On my '91 Spider I noticed that by removing the carpeted panel just to the right of the driver's foot (not sure of name of this piece?) and replacing it, I was able to move some wires stuck beind it and get the panel closer to the center tunnel area, and thus get more space between the accelerator and this panel. It could be removed entirely and that would get a lot more room, although it would be unsightly. But just repositioning it gave me a little more room to get my feet down there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts