Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i am probably going to have to thin out my cars and as this alfetta is the only one which is not currently registered, it is very difficult to store anywhere right now. so i wanted to see if there is any interest for this car. i've owned it for about 6 years and i love it. it's got tons of personality and it is also a very good candidate for restoration as all of the trim is there and the body has very little rust.

ok, so here are the details:

Black with tan interior
2.0 liter engine from spider, 5 speed manual trans
ANSA rear muffler --sounds great but muffler is now detached from pipe sp not sure how much it is actually muffling
Koni Red shocks
Red rear springs (IAP, Shankle???)
milano sway bars
unknown 14" 5 spoke wheels (Fiat, i think??), very period correct and unique as i've never seen another set
no tranny issues
replaced master cylinder, new front pads, new poly caster bushings
interior is very nice and complete, gauges work except clock
most electrics work
Spica works great, starts easily, idle works correctly, etc.
owned by alfa milano service mechanic before me
power front windows, manual rears
GTV6 steering wheel

ok, and the bad or problematic:
no cat so not smogged but just needs a bolt in universal cat since it has bolted-in test pipe, and also have exhaust heat shield for warm air intake. i think all it would need to pass would be an air pump belt, the heater hose to warm air intake and a cat. it has the air pump and proper manifold with hoses already.
weatherstripping needs attention-car leaks but this is socal and i have kept it covered
overheats randomly especially after driving for a while and then slowing down for city driving--does not just warm up & overheat though
very small amount of rust--basically slight bubbling around rear window, and the only perforation is behind passenger side front wheel and probably the only spot that would require any type of welding to fix
heat doesn't heat, fan works on one speed but pretty useless

runs great, sounds great,

ok, really don't want to sell but mught have to so i would like to see what interest there is for this car. i had it at the french & italian show a couple of years ago and so many people stopped to say how they had once owned a series 1 sedan and how much they loved it. i suspect the values on these will go up but very slowly and slightly of course. not trying to make it sound like an investment, only that there is much love for this model. i know if i sell, i will probably seek another one out sometime in the future.

WILL DELIVER ANYWHERE in the world if you pay the expenses! (please, get me out of LA for any amount of time....)

IMG_8219.jpg

7218_Alfetta.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_1381alfetta.jpg

IMG_8205.jpg

·
Registered
606 Posts
I like it, PM me about where you are in LA,

Thanks-

ncng

so i am probably going to have to thin out my cars and as this alfetta is the only one which is not currently registered, it is very difficult to store anywhere right now. so i wanted to see if there is any interest for this car. i've owned it for about 6 years and i love it. it's got tons of personality and it is also a very good candidate for restoration as all of the trim is there and the body has very little rust.

ok, so here are the details:

Black with tan interior
2.0 liter engine from spider, 5 speed manual trans
ANSA rear muffler --sounds great but muffler is now detached from pipe sp not sure how much it is actually muffling
Koni Red shocks
Red rear springs (IAP, Shankle???)
milano sway bars
unknown 14" 5 spoke wheels (Fiat, i think??), very period correct and unique as i've never seen another set
no tranny issues
replaced master cylinder, new front pads, new poly caster bushings
interior is very nice and complete, gauges work except clock
most electrics work
Spica works great, starts easily, idle works correctly, etc.
owned by alfa milano service mechanic before me
power front windows, manual rears
GTV6 steering wheel

ok, and the bad or problematic:
no cat so not smogged but just needs a bolt in universal cat since it has bolted-in test pipe, and also have exhaust heat shield for warm air intake. i think all it would need to pass would be an air pump belt, the heater hose to warm air intake and a cat. it has the air pump and proper manifold with hoses already.
weatherstripping needs attention-car leaks but this is socal and i have kept it covered
overheats randomly especially after driving for a while and then slowing down for city driving--does not just warm up & overheat though
very small amount of rust--basically slight bubbling around rear window, and the only perforation is behind passenger side front wheel and probably the only spot that would require any type of welding to fix
heat doesn't heat, fan works on one speed but pretty useless

runs great, sounds great,

ok, really don't want to sell but mught have to so i would like to see what interest there is for this car. i had it at the french & italian show a couple of years ago and so many people stopped to say how they had once owned a series 1 sedan and how much they loved it. i suspect the values on these will go up but very slowly and slightly of course. not trying to make it sound like an investment, only that there is much love for this model. i know if i sell, i will probably seek another one out sometime in the future.

WILL DELIVER ANYWHERE in the world if you pay the expenses! (please, get me out of LA for any amount of time....)

View attachment 199569

View attachment 199566

View attachment 199567

View attachment 199565

View attachment 199568

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the car too. Does it have the "Slow Down" indicator on the dash?
yup, sure does but since it's an italian car, this light has never come on!

(what's it for, anyways?)

car is located in koreatown right now but may be going to woodland hills to spend the summer since i have a friend with space out there.

fun fun car, just drove it after driving my milano around for a couple of weeks now and it feels so much lighter and nimbler than the milano! it jumps off the line when accelerating whereas the milano doesn't really move until the revs come up. and everything is lighter feeling, the steering (of course my milano is presently with no power assist so that explains that), gear change, etc.

not sure if i will sell....

don't want to but.....

i'm sure you all know this story and have probably dealt with it yourselves.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Two questions:

- was that GTV6 style aircon console a standard fitting on these cars? I've never seen a picture of it before in an early sedan that I can recall.
- is that a power steering pump fitted to the front left hand side of the engine? Doesnt look like an aircon compressor which is where they are normally fitted on Australian delivered cars of that time.

Thanks - just asking out of interest.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
BTW, that "GTV6 style aircon" is what I have on my 1976 Alfetta GT..... maybe it was the same option on the sedan?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
BTW, that "GTV6 style aircon" is what I have on my 1976 Alfetta GT..... maybe it was the same option on the sedan?
Sorry - you're right. We got it in GT's and GTV's as well, but not in sedans as far as I recall. The early 2000 sedans had similar rotary vents but integrated with the later dash like this.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
yup, sure does but since it's an italian car, this light has never come on!

(what's it for, anyways?).
Supposedly lights up when catalyst temp is too high, something like that?

not sure if i will sell....

don't want to but.....

i'm sure you all know this story and have probably dealt with it yourselves.
I think all us Alfetta sedan owners are really suffering in this economy - I've been seriously thinking/dreaming about cutting mine loose as well. Totally know where your coming from! :eek: Hope you can keep it if that's what you really want.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no P.S., that's the air pump from the spider engine which it has now.

i really want to keep this car and i will if i can find the space to park it. i still might pay to park it for a while until i get sick of paying LA prices for a simple parking space.

still trying to figure it all out....

and, jeff, how dare you think of selling? say it ain't so! i would never forgive you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a soft spot for these as the first Alfa I ever drove was my buddy Dan's '76 Alfetta sedan back in high school. It was a blinding revelation after having learned to drive on Dad's Gremlin (with three on the floor) and Mom's Dodge Dart. Have you got a price in mind...?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a soft spot for these as the first Alfa I ever drove was my buddy Dan's '76 Alfetta sedan back in high school. It was a blinding revelation after having learned to drive on Dad's Gremlin (with three on the floor) and Mom's Dodge Dart. Have you got a price in mind...?
hmmmm, really not sure. any offers? i really don't want to sell so it's hard to say. and i don't really even know the going rate for these. (although i'm sure mine is the best....) ha ha.

right now i'm looking for a place to park it for a few months until i can sort out my new living conditions and available parking. and if i have room for it at wherever my new place will be, i will keep it. but if not, i'll probably have to sell.

of course, money talks....

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey guys, sorry top be such a pain in the *** with this but as i said before, i DON'T want to sell but as i'm sure you all know with all things alfa, sometimes it's not what we want....

anyways, i received some PM's about how reliable it is or could be so here is what i wrote back to those folks. it is very honest and i'm sure that there is more that i'll come up with but as you can see, it is a great car for a restoration as it's really not missing anything. if i keep it, i will slowly work towards a driveable restoration and not focus on originality as it does have a spider motor and many mods which i think make it better than OEM.

so, on with the show:

i think it could be a daily driver but here are some points to consider:

1) it does need to be smogged. if no one buys this, i will probably pay the back registration (which is around $200 IIRC) and throw a cat on it. it has a test pipe with 3 bolt flanges on each end right now so it would be easy to swap out the cat after it passes smog if desired. (i honestly don't know if these cars can be reliably run with the cat in place. i've heard many people say that it runs too rich for the cat and the life of the cat will be very short. not really sure if this is true or not. i would prefer the car with the cat as long as it doesn't noticeably hamper the power. anyways, 6 bolts and it's in or out so easy as pie.)

2) overheating--car has overheated slightly. it's very strange and not predictable so i can't figure it out. i changed the thermostat, coolant, flushed the radiator and had it flow tested, added a flow restrictor in the upper hose from WP to radiator, and other stuff but nothing has really helped. needs further testing to determine if it's the waterpump or something else....

3) battery is iffy--would eventually need a new battery. the electrical system is a little weak but i suspect that this is how all these early cars are. i put a different alternator on and it helped somewhat but this battery is old and has not been used consistently so i suspect a new battery would do it wonders.

4) needs a drivers side motor mount--it is cracked (the rubber part) and i've been meaning to get to it but my milano has gotten all my attention in the last year or so. this is an easy fix and no big deal and i think the part is about $30.

now the good--
1) starts every time. as long as the battery isn't low, the car starts very easily every time. i went thru the whole spica system according to some online info i found and it works great. starts easily and idles at 2000rpm until it's warm and then the idle drops. also starts when hot easily.

2) revs nicely and sounds great! ansa is beat up but **** does it sound incredible.

3) very light & nimble after driving my milano for a month or so. no PS but steering is so light, it really doesn't need any. even shifting and clutch are lighter than the milano's. i just went thru the brakes and finally got them working properly with a used working master cylinder, new fluid, all new brake hoses (rubber), and new front pads. none of the calipers are sticking or doing anything improperly.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm interested and local, but threads that start with "Feeler" read like this to a potential buyer:

"I've got this car I love and think is worth $***** dollars. If I can find someone impulsive who shares my vision and is aching to spend $***** then I'll gladly sell. Otherwise, I'll keep it since it must be worth at least $*****."

To my eyes it looks like a $1000 car--maybe. Is that in the neighborhood of what you're asking? If you at least put a price range, or a good lots of what you've spent on the car (and fixed) that will help a potential buyer.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm interested and local, but threads that start with "Feeler" read like this to a potential buyer:

"I've got this car I love and think is worth $***** dollars. If I can find someone impulsive who shares my vision and is aching to spend $***** then I'll gladly sell. Otherwise, I'll keep it since it must be worth at least $*****."

To my eyes it looks like a $1000 car--maybe. Is that in the neighborhood of what you're asking? If you at least put a price range, or a good lots of what you've spent on the car (and fixed) that will help a potential buyer.
yeah, i know and i apologize but i really didn't know what it was worth and i really "should" sell it but i just don't want to, so thus this thread. just if someone really wanted it and was willing to splurge for the car (hey, rarity must be worth something....) but i think my best option at this point is to get it through smog and registered and then it's not the blacksheep of my family of cars. so forgive me if this was more of a therapy lesson than an actual FS thread.

but that said, i would still sell for the right, overinflated price. (closer to $2k is what i was thinking....)

or i'll update as i progress with my troubles and registration.

in the meantime, been driving my milano more & more and now the ANSA muffler is getting louder and raspier which is fine by me so maybe another alfa is just what i need...or maybe it's too much the same as the milano. dunno, but stay tuned as you probably won't see another series 1 sedan for sale in the meantime anyways!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well, if you're coming down near Long Beach in it, please let me know. Or if I'm headed up to L.A. I'll give you a shout. Good luck either way. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts