Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1990 Spider veloce. While getting ready to inspect and clean out the cowl drain areas, I noticed that the plastic finned piece that fits around the wiper arms was loose, and lifted right up. I'm sure there was some means of fastening this piece to the sheet metal cowl panel, but there were no fasteners present. Anyone know how this part is fastened, and if so, what do the fasteners look like?

Also, it would appear that there should be two rubber strips that separate and seal the metal cowl panel from each fender. Anyone know where I might locate said strips? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Welcome to the BB forum:)
A 1990mspider is a nice model, interim model so to speak, with the S3 shape with rear spoiler, yet the motronic Bosch S4 spider engine (sometimes nicknamed the S3.5)

yes, that plastic cowl insert is very prone to breaking loose....it has little molded threaded bosses underneath, so held in by little tiny screws...trouble is the molded thread inserts break off.
here you see circled in red the little threaded bosses still intact on my car, and those in green already bust off!
Tire Footwear Automotive tire Bumper Automotive wheel system

Only way to inspect it is to remove the cowl.
I doubt there is a fix, the plastic piece is just made of junk basically.....you might find a used one on the fleabay...just make sure to ask the seller if all the screw bosses are still intact;)

here are some instructions I posted some years back, if of use---

Yes, there should be seals between the metal cowl and the fenders (they are sided, you need a left and a right)
RB078 RUBBER SEAL - WING TO SCUTTLE PANEL - LEFT

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the BB forum:)
A 1990mspider is a nice model, interim model so to speak, with the S3 shape with rear spoiler, yet the motronic Bosch S4 spider engine (sometimes nicknamed the S3.5)

yes, that plastic cowl insert is very prone to breaking loose....it has little molded threaded bosses underneath, so held in by little tiny screws...trouble is the molded thread inserts break off.
here you see circled in red the little threaded bosses still intact on my car, and those in green already bust off!
View attachment 1650927

Only way to inspect it is to remove the cowl.
I doubt there is a fix, the plastic piece is just made of junk basically.....you might find a used one on the fleabay...just make sure to ask the seller if all the screw bosses are still intact;)

here are some instructions I posted some years back, if of use---

Yes, there should be seals between the metal cowl and the fenders (they are sided, you need a left and a right)
RB078 RUBBER SEAL - WING TO SCUTTLE PANEL - LEFT
Thanks for the info about the screws to fasten the vent panel to the windshield cowl. I kinda' figured it was something along those lines. Also thanks for the info regarding the wing to scuttle panel rubber seals. I ordered both the left and right seals from Classic Alfa, along with a few other items I needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts