Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever marketed a fastener kit for Spider restorations? You see them all the time for muscle cars. Alternatively, has anyone compiled a fastener list for Spiders?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I got a SS bolt kit for my camaro-all bolts from bumper to bumper, however, the best and only I found were from ARP for the spider, they only had head studs, but sent me a formula to order others from them-like for the water pump, etc...I'll try to attach...It was made for heads, but they said it would work for EVERYTHING regardless of being gasketed or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
The originator of this post probably has long ago solved their problem, but I have also just encountered this issue. So, I thought I would share what I learned and created to help others facing the same thing to help you lessen the time you'll have to spend on this issue. An explanation and some caveats first: My list is heavily focused on sheet metal and self tapping screws that secure bits of trim around the vehicle. These are not all the fasteners, only the ones of interest to me and do not include any engine-related ones. Only the general area of application is listed since I had bagged my components by general area, and I will sort out exactly what they fasten upon reassembly of the interior and exterior. The thread pitch on sheet metal screws seem to be a function mostly of the diameter in the metric system, and if it is not quite right a new thread can probably easily be formed upon installation, so I lessened my focus on that despite having tried to identify them all. Not all the fasteners were included if mine were in good shape and I had plenty of them. I presume that the car ('74 Spider) did not originally have all these fastener types, and some are the result of a replacements by the previous owners using something that fit. For instance, I did not include the bugle head screws I removed and tossed. The list may not be completely accurate due to my measuring errors, the assumptions I made to match up to an item in the BelMetric.com catalog, and to lessen the variety of what I was dealing with.

Having searched online across a variety of vendors I finally called Centerline for a referral. Ian referred me to BelMetric.com (east coast-based I believe). They specialize in metric fasteners unlike other vendors who either would not deal with a non-commercial entity (Ababa) or who wanted me to convert the item to the nearest sized SAE equivalent. Some common items, like flat washers, are available at the nearest well-stocked hardware store. Do a bit of reading to understand the metric sizing system, materials, finishes and head styles for fasteners, and consider getting yourself a digital caliper for measuring sizes. So, have fun.

Follow up: The AlfaBB.com website is not letting me attach an xlsx file (Excel) or hardly any other file type, so contact me and I shall send this list to you directly.
-Arnold

·
Super Moderator
9,970 Posts
Arnold:

There is a more current thread on this subject at: https://www.alfabb.com/threads/nuts-bolts-and-screws.689903/#post-8496350 Other posters did steer the thread's originator to belmetric, but he might be interested in obtaining your excel file.

The AlfaBB.com website is not letting me attach an xlsx file (Excel) or hardly any other file type
Yes, you're right - I tried it too. The only work-around I can think of is to write the excel file as a pdf - it will let you attach pdf's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts