Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

i got three questions for you:

1) I'm going to refresh my new 1969 1300 Stepnose: i noticed that, differently for the 1750 mk1 i had before, it hasn't the radiator fan cowl. Is it correct or i have to buy it?

2) I want to retain the original engine, but i want to "wake up" it: anyone tried the Colombo & Bariani "medium street" 10.9 mm lift? Other suggestions?

3) I want to replace the actual plug wires with the original green Cavis: could it cause problem with the FM Radio?

Thanks,
Francesco

·
Premium Member
14,664 Posts
I have installed CB47 cams in two different engines. They make more mid-upper end power than Euro cams. But I switched to RJ cams in my current engine and they are MUCH better in every respect.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I have the C & B 10.9 290 cams in three cars and I am delighted with them.

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
I'm going to refresh my new 1969 1300 Stepnose: i noticed that, differently for the 1750 mk1 i had before, it hasn't the radiator fan cowl. Is it correct or i have to buy it?
Francesco:

If the 1969 1300 is like my '66 1600, then it should have a fan cowl made of sheetmetal (your 1750 mk1 probably had a black plastic cowl). There should be four 6mm studs on the backof the radiator for mounting the cowl. A lot of these cowls got lost over the years, because they do make fan belt replacement more difficult.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have installed CB47 cams in two different engines. They make more mid-upper end power than Euro cams. But I switched to RJ cams in my current engine and they are MUCH better in every respect.
Thank you. What are RJ cams?

I have the C & B 10.9 290 cams in three cars and I am delighted with them.
Thanks.

Francesco:

If the 1969 1300 is like my '66 1600, then it should have a fan cowl made of sheetmetal (your 1750 mk1 probably had a black plastic cowl). There should be four 6mm studs on the backof the radiator for mounting the cowl. A lot of these cowls got lost over the years, because they do make fan belt replacement more difficult.
You're right, my 1750 had a plastic cowl. I'll check for the studs on the back of the radiator.
Anyone knows something about the interaction between not-shielded plug wires and FM radio?

·
Registered
365 Posts
cam suggestion

Francesco

Good cams for "waking up" a 1300 at a small cost are also the 10548 cams from a 1750/2000 cc motor. I run them in my 1300 motor and am very pleased. You will have to time the cams as the 1300 cams are timed (102*/102*, I believe), otherwise the motor loses out on the top end. I have mine timed to 102*/104*.

With these cams you will still have to drive the 1300 "like your hair is on fire" :) (as Alfanuts put it, I think) but they do make a noticeable difference.

regards
Bob

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Stay away from racing cams.......
Many Euro suppliers have vast experience on what works well for your application.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Stay away from racing cams.......
Many Euro suppliers have vast experience on what works well for your application.
Actually i'm looking for that kind of cams that could "get free" the whole capabilities of a street 1300 and no more else. I know that if i would to burn rear tires the only choice would be installing an AR512 or a 220 hp Alfaholics Nord Block. Maybe in the future would not be so bad to burn Porsche Carreras at the traffic lights:D

I think that a phone call to Master Balduzzi would be a right choice as well....

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I believe that it should have radiator fan cowl.

Yes, the green CAVIS wires may give you a bit of static but you can run resistor plugs and resistor spark plug caps as they did back then.

I'd also try 25mm intract tract extensions on the 1300 if you are changing cams - it greatly improves the torque band. On a 1300, they will fit with the standard airbox with shimming the carb side motor mount. Available at: tuning_alfa_romeo

Hello guys,

i got three questions for you:

1) I'm going to refresh my new 1969 1300 Stepnose: i noticed that, differently for the 1750 mk1 i had before, it hasn't the radiator fan cowl. Is it correct or i have to buy it?

2) I want to retain the original engine, but i want to "wake up" it: anyone tried the Colombo & Bariani "medium street" 10.9 mm lift? Other suggestions?

3) I want to replace the actual plug wires with the original green Cavis: could it cause problem with the FM Radio?

Thanks,
Francesco

·
Registered
149 Posts
C&B 10.9 cams

I installed these 10.9 C&B cams in my 1600 Alfa. They made a pleasant, but not stunning, difference. I did look at the Richard Jennison Cams, but the cost, by tiem shipped & taxes etc made them more than twice as expensive. They may be twice as good, but were beyond my budget.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts