Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I know this is a very simplistic question for you most of you. From step one to the final step, what is the correct way to replace the fan belt? For example - step 1 - remove 2 bolts from alternator, etc. I'm having the hardest time putting everything back together as the belt it too tight.

Thanks

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
1) Loosen large bolt under alternator
2) Loosen alternator tensioner bracket on water pump
3) Loosen alternator tensioner bracket on alternator
4) Unbolt radiator shroud
5) Slip belt off pullies
6) Slip shroud over fan
7) Remove belt

8) Hang new belt on fan
9) Mount shroud
10) Put belt on pullies
11) Snug belt tension on alternator
12) Snug bolt under alternator
13) Tension belt to full tension
14) Tighten water pump alternator bracket bolt
15) Tighten alternator bracket bolt
16) Tighten bolt under alternator
17) Check for anything out of alignment, in the way, or dangling where it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
He forgot to add the part where you take a perfectly good 13 MM open end wrench and grind it down thin enough to be able to get on the one bolt. Just add it to your special Alfa tools section.
You also need an extra hand for a minute to hold tension while you tighten
Check tension after running a short while because the new belt may not seat properly initially.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
@ lowmilage:

I'da been in under the wire, but the page took too long to refresh :)

@ spdryell:

Grind a 13mm wrench?

I've changed more tha one belt on mine and at no point in time did I have to modify any of my existing tools.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Tifosi,
The head of the top bolt on the alternator/ slotted bracket on my '82 is very shallow to allow it to clear the engine block since the bracket is so close to the block. On mine I could not get a full bite on the head with the wrench until I ground it down thin enough to fit between the bracket and the block. I believe this is the original setup on the car since I bought the car in '85. This is not the first time I have had to resort to the grinder. I also had to modify a 32mm spindle socket to be able to remove/tighten the nut on the drive coupling fork on the transmission. That socket was too big OD to reach into the recess and the bevels on the entry to the socket were almost as deep as the thickness of that nut. No big deal in both cases since the tools are not that much money and I just add them to a box of tools only used just for the Alfa.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Replacing Alternator Belt

Darren, don't want to seem overly dim, but what if you have an AC compressor belt in the way...

Bruce Blanchard
Midlothian, Virginia
89' Quad

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Around step 4 in the take it apart section, get you a 10mm socket and remove the 4 bolts holding the outer half of the AC pulley to the crank pulley, remove it, the shims and the belt, then proceed as listed.

See FAQ at the top of this subsection for words and schematics, including what the tension(s) should be.

·
Registered
125 Posts
tifosi:
I'm changing my fan belt on my 1973 gvt and your help is great. But I can't link to see schematics or tensioning info, and being more visual would love to see some schematics. Can you send it again? Is the large nut "under" the alternator the one right in front of the exhaust manifolds facing toward the driver?

Thanks
Perry

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
tifosi:
I'm changing my fan belt on my 1973 gvt and your help is great. But I can't link to see schematics or tensioning info, and being more visual would love to see some schematics. Can you send it again? Is the large nut "under" the alternator the one right in front of the exhaust manifolds facing toward the driver?

Thanks
Perry
Perry,

Darren Gates (Tifosi) was a great resource and friend of the board, but as you can see from near his avatar, he unfortunately passed away last year. I'm sure someone will be able to help, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts