Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if any of you with S4 cars have had trouble with the fuse box coming loose from the moorings and falling down in front of the clutch pedal?

If this has been a problem how did you fix it?

The driver who transported my car from California to Arizona managed to kick the fuse box with his size 13 boots hard enough to knock it completely loose (thanks buddy). I resecured it but the factory method looks iffy at best. The cover for the box vanished before I bought the car and those vulnerable fuses are just waiting to get snagged on the toe of my left shoe.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm wondering if any of you with S4 cars have had trouble with the fuse box coming loose from the moorings and falling down in front of the clutch pedal?

The driver who transported my car from California to Arizona managed to kick the fuse box with his size 13 boots hard enough to knock it completely loose (thanks buddy). I resecured it but the factory method looks iffy at best. The cover for the box vanished before I bought the car and those vulnerable fuses are just waiting to get snagged on the toe of my left shoe.

I had to swing down my fuse box to get it out of the way while I was changing the hood cable. Yes the fastener is a rubber grommet that the fuse box plugs into is on one side. It seems to work. The other side is a hook of some sort. I really had to get down, look and study it to understand how it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

I told you to get rid of those spike heels long ago.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks slowcreek. It's good to know I can always count on your powers of observation.:wink2:

Now that we've disparaged my footwear choices I might mention that the Mickey Mouse hinge and latch system that secures the fuse box has, at least on my '91, fallen prey to that "Old Italian Plastic Disease" that causes said parts to disintegrate with any human contact.

In my car the latch that holds the fuse box after it has been swung back up to the closed position has crumbled into oblivion. The two hinge pin bosses that snap into a metal frame are made of a better nylon based plastic so those still work (for now anyway).

As some of you know working under the S4 dash in the footwell can be a claustrophobic, contortionist nightmare so rather than attempt to cooperate with the original Alfa method I decided to make something that ACTUALLY WORKS to foil the flopping fuse box.

I cut a piece of 1/8" Lexan sheet to about 5 x 7" that attaches to the bottom edge of the knee bolster at two points using self tapping screws and extends as a shelf that supports the fuse box and in the bargain acts as a cover.

It works, it's cheap, it's simple. Problem solved. I'm so happy I just may buy a new pair of spike heels>:)

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
Thanks slowcreek. It's good to know I can always count on your powers of observation.:wink2:

Now that we've disparaged my footwear choices I might mention that the Mickey Mouse hinge and latch system that secures the fuse box has, at least on my '91, fallen prey to that "Old Italian Plastic Disease" that causes said parts to disintegrate with any human contact.

In my car the latch that holds the fuse box after it has been swung back up to the closed position has crumbled into oblivion. The two hinge pin bosses that snap into a metal frame are made of a better nylon based plastic so those still work (for now anyway).

As some of you know working under the S4 dash in the footwell can be a claustrophobic, contortionist nightmare so rather than attempt to cooperate with the original Alfa method I decided to make something that ACTUALLY WORKS to foil the flopping fuse box.

I cut a piece of 1/8" Lexan sheet to about 5 x 7" that attaches to the bottom edge of the knee bolster at two points using self tapping screws and extends as a shelf that supports the fuse box and in the bargain acts as a cover.

It works, it's cheap, it's simple. Problem solved. I'm so happy I just may buy a new pair of spike heels>:)

Your not the only S4 owner that has this problem.

In my case the 2 hing pin bosses broke off. I have resorted to drilling some holes in the fuse box and the nearest in car position when lifted and am using zip ties. Not the most elegant but works "most of the time". The box still falls down sometimes and seems to do it while I'm driving.

Could you post a picture of your solution? Seems more durable than mine.

Thanks,

Vin

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspected there were others suffering from Floppy Fuse Box Syndrome.

I'll get a couple of pics posted this evening or tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vintre, here's a pic. It's a confusing perspective but I think you can get the idea. The scrap of Lexan I used was 7.5" x 7" and 1/8" thick. I certainly could refine the shape but my object was to see if the basic idea was workable. This first try obviously blocks the light switch inset in the knee bolster but is not an issue for my first go 'round.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't have an S4 to model a solution from, so "no 3D Printed parts for you!"
Hi Kevin: I'm a new comer to this issue, but tell me, if you have a "fully representative", but broken clip into which one side of the fuse box snaps, could it be possible to 3D print one? If at all possible to do, I could send you the "unobtanium" piece.
Please see attached picture...

. IMG-2137.jpg Thanks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Your not the only S4 owner that has this problem.

In my case the 2 hing pin bosses broke off. I have resorted to drilling some holes in the fuse box and the nearest in car position when lifted and am using zip ties. Not the most elegant but works "most of the time". The box still falls down sometimes and seems to do it while I'm driving.

Could you post a picture of your solution? Seems more durable than mine.

Thanks,

Vin
I had to swing down my fuse box to get it out of the way while I was changing the hood cable. Yes the fastener is a rubber grommet that the fuse box plugs into is on one side. It seems to work. The other side is a hook of some sort. I really had to get down, look and study it to understand how it worked.

While reading these messages, I see my problem is similar, in the that the "... other side is a hook of some sort..." was also broken, as shown the picture IMG-2136.jpg . What I did was to wrap a zip-tie around the hinge pin and the metal-angled bracket, then cinch it tight. This allows the fuse box to swing up-and-down, as normal. I sure hope this solution works, in-the-long-run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had the same issue with my S3 - broken hinge clip and the PO used a zip tie to hold that side in place. When I was redoing the carpeting and had the knee polster out, which is what those clips are attached to, I fashioned a clip out of an aluminum strip about 1/2 inch wide. Bolted it in place and it works wonderfully. Didn't make a photo however, but if you're interested I can wiggle under the dash to make one.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, please and thank you.
Here's a photo. Sorry it doesn't really show too much, but there's a loop of aluminum strap wrapping around the fuse box hinge post. Looking at it now, I think it would have been a lot easier if I just used an AV cable clamp from the hardware store. But where's the fun in that?:sneaky:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts