Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bear with me as this is my first try at uploading images..

These are original promo pictures (factory?) of a 2600 SZ prototype that never made it to production. I don't know which year these pictures are from or if this was a show car. Although some styling cues did make it into the final model, there are very few similarities to the actual production car. I see hints of the GTZ in the tail design, a C-pillar reminiscent of the Lancia Zagatos, and an early dash that looks to be from the 2000/2600 spider series? No one can ever accuse Alfa of playing it safe in the 60's! Can you imagine rolling up to a club meet in one of these?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
This is AR 856001. The pictures were probably taken either in late February or early March of 1963, most likely just before the re-bodied car shown at the car show in Geneva. There are 2 more pictures from this series as can be seen here:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
When the car was introduced at the Salone di Torino in October, 1962, it had a slightly different nose (no ugly bump on the hood, and no gaps through the side of the front fenders) and a very different rear:

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is AR 856001. The pictures were probably taken either in late February or early March of 1963, most likely just before the re-bodied car shown at the car show in Geneva. There are 2 more pictures from this series as can be seen here:
Thanks Ruedi, I knew you could clear this up.

Phil

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Presumably in the 1970s, the car was further butchered by the Alfa Romeo museum (where the car is now located), when ugly hood scoops reminiscent of the 1900 SSZ were added and the car repainted:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
So the car exists today, as modified in the Factory museum? Impressive research and great pics, too, Reudi!
Yes, the car is in the museum in Arese.

I'm still trying to find more and larger pictures (and hopefully in color) of the 1962 version for the 2600 SZ register. I know it was shown in several magazines, but was outbid on the auctions these pictures are from (any help identifying the sources would be greatly appreciated):

Attachments

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
On the first version, and on the yellow car today in the museum, the whole engine hood tilts forward as on a TZ. The way the trunk opens is also different than on the blue car. I think the blue car is another prototype and not the same car with coachwork modifications..

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
On the first version, and on the yellow car today in the museum, the whole engine hood tilts forward as on a TZ. The way the trunk opens is also different than on the blue car. I think the blue car is another prototype and not the same car with coachwork modifications..
I must admit the possibility exists that there were 2 cars, but based on the information I have so far, I consider this possibility very remote.

The current information indicates that it is the same car, built on chassis 191575 under Zagato #629 and delivered on 30-Oct-62 for the salon in Turin, then re-bodied under Zagato #647, and delivered to Alfa Romeo on 03-Mar-63, for the salon in Geneva. A third Zagato number (#1884) exists for this car, probably from the 1970s when the hood scoops were added.

I have been trying to get information from Alfa Romeo to find out how many chassis were delivered to Zagato during that time, but Elvira did not get around to find out for me. No reliable information seems to exist from Zagato, and I was told Ercole Spada doesn't like to talk about the 2600 SZ because he wasn't happy with the design and/or the outcome.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
BTW: The car in post #1 with the hood tilting forward is the 2nd version (Geneva 1963), not the 1st (Torino 1962). Here is a picture from the Swiss magazine Automobil Revue #48, 1962, showing the car in Turin, when the Giulia TZ was also introduced:

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks guys for the interesting photos.

Does the info. gathered so far suggest that this car was a one off which was later reworked though? The only reason I ask is that if you look closely at the shot in the l/h top corner in post #8 you can see above the bonnet (hood) of the Alfa in the foreground a car with very similar tail treatment parked against the curb. Or am I mistaken ?

I agree about the "restyling" of the yellow car too. Leather hood straps ? What were they thinking.....??!!

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Does the info. gathered so far suggest that this car was a one off which was later reworked though? The only reason I ask is that if you look closely at the shot in the l/h top corner in post #8 you can see above the bonnet (hood) of the Alfa in the foreground a car with very similar tail treatment parked against the curb. Or am I mistaken ?
The information I have indicates there was 1 prototype in the 1962-63 time frame, and 4 more with incremental changes during 1964-65.

With respect to the car in the background of the picture in post #8, I believe this is the Giulia TZ prototype that was also shown in Turin (these pictures may have been taken when the cars were loaded or unloaded from a truck before or after the show).

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It appears the main differences between the '62 and the '63 cars is the '63 has a front-tilting cowl vs. the conventional hood of the earlier car, and the later car has a modified rear panel (taillights appear incorporated in the flat panel rather than in their own fairings, comparing the photos)

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I'm confused. Are you saying that the blue car in posts 4, 8 and at the bottom of post 11 was the first body, and that the car in posts 1 and 2, plus the yellow car (post 6) which is in the museum is the second body on the same chassis? If this is the case, I can see it being 2 different bodies on the same chassis. The car at the top of post 11 is a TZ prototype.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
I'm confused. Are you saying that the blue car in posts 4, 8 and at the bottom of post 11 was the first body, and that the car in posts 1 and 2, plus the yellow car (post 6) which is in the museum is the second body on the same chassis? If this is the case, I can see it being 2 different bodies on the same chassis. The car at the top of post 11 is a TZ prototype.
Yes, all pictures show the same car (except for the TZ prototype in post 11):
Posts 4, 8 and 11 show AR 856001 in Oct/Nov 1962.
Posts 1, and 2 show AR 856001 in Feb/Mar 1963.
Post 6 shows AR 856001 as it exists today.

I wish somebody could find and post pictures of the car on the show floor in Geneva. It appears the car did not get much media attention then.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
For me it has always been the second version of an Alfa is less attractive than the first. I like the first version of the 2600SZ better (the blue car). The eyebrows giulietta sprint is better looking than the eggcrate grille version. The 1900 Touring Series 1 and 2 Touring 1900 sprint is better looking than the Series 3 5-window coupe with larger rear window and smaller rear side pillars, and the TZ is better looking to me than the TZ2.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Here are 6 more photos of the 2600 Zagato and the Alfa TZ from Turin 1962. The 2600 Zagato was NOT at Geneva in 1962..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/petreader/sets/72157600588392862/detail/

Click on the individual photo to blow it up.
Great pictures. Thank you for digging them up. Can you tell us what the sources are (e.g. magazine/issue/page)?

You're correct in that the 2600 SZ was not shown in Geneva 1962 (Zagato delivered the car on 30-Oct-62, but Geneva is in March). At this show, the 2600 Berlina, Spider and Sprint were officially introduced, but no prototypes or design studies were shown.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts