Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
If you are talking 64 to 74 gtv,no factory air conditioning you are correct it was a dealer installed option.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I really don't think so. I had a '74 GTV with Factory Air and it had a Piston style compressor mounted where the battery goes. The Dash unit was specially made to fit under the factory dash dash, and there was a special shorter center console. The rear Battery mount tray was welded to the right rear fender inside the trunk. This was NOT dealer installed. The A/C hoses went through the firewall in special holes that were painted in original construction. I have photos.My car also had special blue tinted glass all round. I sold the A/C stuff and the Battery mount went to a guy in Italy who was building a GTA replica...as they also have the same rear tray mount!

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I really don't think so. I had a '74 GTV with Factory Air and it had a Piston style compressor mounted where the battery goes. The Dash unit was specially made to fit under the factory dash dash, and there was a special shorter center console....
Yep, I parted out a 74 Berlina that had the exact same parts, except the tinted glass was green. The most telling item was the molded underdash evaporator/blower assembly that incorporated the factory heater core.

Bill

·
Registered
561 Posts
You only see ac on u.s cars,never on euro cars.Nothing in the parts manual or owners manual,never seen a supplement on the ac system or any factory literature supporting the claim of this option.While your aftermarket systems may have a proffesional instalation it does not make it a factory option.AC,sunroofs heck even radios,all aftermarket.If you take the time to search you will find threads on this topic.I will gladly eat crow if you can find proof to the contrary.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Factory A/C

Alfa Romeo offered factory air conditioning on Berlina and GTV models in the United States in the final year of avaliability in the US, 1974. Prior to that year, it was only available as a dealer-installed option. I honestly don't recall if they also offered factory A/C on the Spider in '74, but I do remember it on the coupe and sedan models.

I was a service manager at an Alfa dealership at that time.

OldAlfaGuy

·
Registered
561 Posts
Interesting OAG,i am still not convinced.How did the factory instalation differ from aftermarket all the units i have seen look the same,cut console with black box under dash and battery in trunk.I was under the impression that the ac was fitted state side and not at the factory,any evidence besides ancedotal.The fact that i have only seen u.s cars with ac still makes me believe that it was fitted state side.More evidence is needed before i choke back that crow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a factory issued 23 page 1973 2000 GTV spare parts catalog for the air conditioning system. The catalog publication number is 2124 and it is dated 12/73. By the coding on the book I believe that 4000 copies were printed.Part numbers follow the normal Alfa numbering system. For example the comressor part number is 105.48.10.010.01. Text is in Italian, French, Englis, German and Spanish. My 1974 was originally AC equipped. I would be very sceptical of this being a dealer installed option. There would simply be too many modifications required of a non-AC car.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Any photos of a factory A/C setup?
Here's a pic of the underdash unit and short console from a recent FS post for a GTV in Idaho. I'll try to get a pic of the underdash unit that I have in storage that will show the moulded fresh air vent opening. I understand your skepticism but I'm 100% sure this is a factory item. I also remember looking closely at the holes in the firewall that unicornbc mentioned. They were definately punched and painted at the factory - not done with a Unibit or a Greenlee punch like aftermarket would be. There were lots of other details that convinced me.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
I own a 1973 2000 GTV, a European one, delivered to its first owner in Italy. It is still in original condition and has a factory fitted A/C. The console is exactly like the one shown in the pic above. Further, the Alfa sales brochure of that year shows the airco version.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Well the facts are certainly starting to show that indeed it was a factory option,i stand corrected and will humbly chew my crow.Thanks to all who posted relevant information,you learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Bill S.!

Must have run like a dog with A/C and smog equipment!

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Thanks Bill S.!

Must have run like a dog with A/C and smog equipment!
I'm not sure about California but the rest of the states didn't have a smog pump in '74. But yes, the enormous original compressor was a pig. Could easily be replaced by a lighter, more modern one though.

Bill

·
Premium Member
14,682 Posts
My 73 GTV had what I believe was an aftermarket AC. It had the same big ugly bracket for the compressor that hung off the front of the cylinder head, but the under dash unit was smaller and the center console was standard. The evaporator was mounted where the glove box used to be. Opening the glove box door revealed ducts and wires. It worked reasonably well considering the small size. I have seen pictures of Spica cars with the compressor mounted where the alternator should be and the alternator mounted above it.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
88 Milano Verde

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
My take is that A/C was a factory option BUT it was not installed at the factory. It came as a complete kit, supplied by Alfa, and installed at the POE or the dealer. Some chassis were specifically built by Alfa for A/C installation (trunk mounted battery for example). The holes in the bulkhead for the evaporator were, according to the Euro and US 2000 GTV parts books, on ALL GTVs, not just the A/C equipped cars. Non-A/C cars have rubber plugs in the holes (pic of the plugs in this post).
I recall having a chat with a gentleman many, many years ago whose specific job was to install the A/C components when the cars came off the boat in Port Newark, New Jersey.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 74 GTV has the factory a/c system, apparently Italian-made Borletti componentry, compressor clutch has Italian label, factory hoses have Borletti tags.

I had the compressor switched to rotary and the thing blows ice cubes with far less engine power loss (10.4 pistons and 11mm cam, Spica, elec fan in front of condensor). It's keeping me cool in 100 degree F ambient temps.

Well, actually its the GTV that keeps me "cool"...

The cardiscs have a/c system info and parts breakdown.

John

·
Registered
155 Posts
'74 with Factory A/C just listed on eBay

U may want to look at this red car... in the photos u will see the huge A/C Piston typpe pump and the Dash Heater/Condenser unit...same as one I had !

·
Registered
73 Posts
So has anyone fitted A/C to a 1750?

My 1750 runs like a clock and would be an ideal every-other-day driver if the interior was inhabitable through summer. My wife is more than happy to drive it but when the temperature gets much over 30degC then there are hair & makeup issues - y'know what I mean.

Is there anyone here who has fitted some sort of discreet, aftermarket A/C to a 1750? I'm not trying to keep this car totally original, but I don't want the fixture to totally bugger-up things either. It doesn't need to be hugely powerfull, just something to take the edge off so the car is actually drivable in summer.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts