Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is in the process of buying a 1972 Montreal that supposedly had factory A/C, but it appears all major A/C components in the engine compartment have been removed. I don't know these cars very well (but quickly looked through Bruce Taylor's web site), so I hope some Montreal owners can give advice on (a) whether there's enough information in the pictures to confirm that this car indeed had factory A/C and (b) what to do and where to get the missing components to make the A/C work again (and with modern R134a refrigerants).

There seems to be an A/C hose in the engine compartment (visible at the lower left corner of the first picture), and the center console seems to have the correct escutcheon plate for A/C controls, as per Bruce Taylor's web site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Missing quite a bit. The York is suppose to be in the hole on the passenger front, next to the spica pump, oil container and gas filter. That big hole there. On the drivers fender I have the condenser(accumulator) with a the evaporator, which is about 1 ft. square 3 in. thick with a fan mounted on it. It's mounted behind the headlight between the condenser. Me Pumpkin is stinkin' original!! Can take pictures if you wish?

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, pictures or an original A/C setup would help a great deal -- I'll probably see the car on Friday.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
I'll take care of you!

·
Registered
145 Posts
The electric relaise are only by A/C cars what is shown on your picture of the car!!!.

I put also out my A/C from the car because of the weight.

Kai

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Here they are!!

AC1.jpg

AC2.jpg

AC3.jpg

AC4.jpg

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the info, pictures and links -- they are very helpful!

I can see from the pictures that there's indeed quite a bit of stuff missing. So, I'm trying to get an electronic copy of Pub. Diass. 2125 that shows the A/C parts for the Montreal (I have Pub. 1645 for the USA 2000 GTV on a CarDisc CD).

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Looks like you are covered for answers. If needed, I can send pix too. I just reinstalled my factory A/C.

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like you are covered for answers. If needed, I can send pix too. I just reinstalled my factory A/C.
Thanks, John! Did you convert to R134a (instead of R12) refrigerant, and, if so, what needs to be looked at for such a conversion?

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Ruedi. I am also in Vancouver, and have a factory equipped AC Montreal. You would be welcome to come and have a look. Cheers, Dale.
Hi Dale, welcome to AlfaBB and thanks for your offer. As soon as my friend has the car, I'll send you a PM so we can arrange for a side-by-side comparison of what's there and what's missing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts