Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this car while having my morning coffee.

This looks authentic.

This doesn't

Here's the ad:

·
Premium Member
22,813 Posts
I sure would want to look a it closely. I've sent to a TI Super friend to see what he knows about it.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
All of the fonts seem to match one that I found on another car. And, they match the fonts I have found on other plates on other Alfas of this vintage.

View attachment 1662042
Font matches but look at the quality of the black background on the one in question vs the one you just posted. Rough on the outer edges on the car in question, smooth on the one you just posted.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hi

In the mid 90's there were a number of 'fake' TIS made in Italy. At least a couple made their way to Japan, and I personally saw them.

As others have commented the identification plate looks correct, and I have never seen replicas for sale, but then I haven't looked. However the rivets look suspiciously new, I would expect some patina after 54 years - do you remove them when you respray?

I also, like others, have my suspicions about the VIN numbering, slant, lettering, steel mount, etc., all look incorrect to me.

But, I find it odd that there is no history before 1994! Eloquent wording, but the car was already 30 years old then, surely there would be some knowledge of owners, registration numbers, etc... really odd for me, since provenance is the key fact to establish authenticity.

Richard.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The VIN looks suspicious. It almost looks like there's a layer of bondo that the numbers have been pressed into. If I was seriously considering this car I'd be scratching the VIN with a key to see.

·
Administrator
14,309 Posts
I'd put a beer on it being a fake
Pete

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Registered
236 Posts
The IGM plate is original, maybe it has been a little ground along the edges, but it looks really original to me.
The VIN a little less ...

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Regarding the VIN, the font, in particular the "R", does not look the same as mine (granted its a '73 maybe the font changed)

·
Registered
236 Posts
In theory, chassis 595311 should be from 1964 ...

·
Registered
236 Posts
"Fugazi"??? I don't know him! :LOL:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Check out the movie Donnie Brasco. Fugazy means counterfeit. At least in some portions of New York.
[/CITAZIONE]

Ah ok! Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Sergio

Interesting posts....

Where are you in Italy?

Thanks

Richard
Hi Richard!

I live in the province of Varese, near the Swiss border.

Reactions: Baldanzi
1 - 20 of 62 Posts