Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I am having a top fabricator make an exact copy of the original GTA Airbox and Snout. The parts will be made of aluminum and look as close the original parts as we can get it. I have seen other copies but none look identical to the original parts and I have no interest in a carbon fiber one. The buck is being made now. Obviously the cost will come down if more than one of these is fabricated. Anyone interested please send me a PM.

These will not be cheap but if you want something that looks original this is the way to go. In a concour if the judge can't tell the part from the original you don't lose points. We are also trying to find a way to fit a filter in the airbox but can't promise that just yet.

Bob

1965 RHD GTA Corsa Ex Horst Kwech 1966 Trans-Am and B-Sedan Champion
Hey Bob, how did you figure out it to be correct to use an aluminum GTA box versus the Fibre glass type for your GTA. I have the fibre glass type with 752507 but don't know if it was original to the car.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
My car was prepared by Autodelta in January 1966 and shipped to the USA in February 1966 hence it should have the all aluminum airbox. Based on what you are saying the all fiberglass version is correct for some cars. I am only making the part that would have been on the 1600 GTAs in 1965/66 and must rely on people like Roman Tucker, Scott Gray, Max Banks and Anthony Rimicci regarding originality issues. Anthony Rimicci provided me a damaged all aluminum air box that came with his GTA. We had four airboxes to examine and the construction was the same on all except the one covered in fiberglass and it was only different as to the fiberglass covering.

Bob

1965 RHD GTA Corsa Ex Horst Kwech 1966 Trans-Am and B-Sedan Champion

Thanks Bob and Alle, for that info. I had heard of F/G covered Aluminum boxes.

My all f/G box also has a metal plate molded in to the F/G and I seem to recall the #68 also, but I'll have a look tonight.

Cioa

Ken

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
The air Box Straps

Bob or others, can you tell or show more about the straps. They look alot like the stap that holds on the coolant over flow tank on the 1750 and 2000 series chassis.

Is each stap 2 piece or one piece? about how long?

cioa

Ken

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
There are two straps, one forward one aft, with each strap coming together on the side of the airbox facing the RF inner fender, that secures the access cover. The upper end of the strap, holds the head of the long screw. The lower end of the strap holds the horizontal, cylindrical brass nut into which the long screw is fitted.

I havent looked into my airbox for quite some time, but isnt there a short curved aluminum tube, about 15mm in dia, that acts as a vent for the rear-most carb?

David
David you didn't quite say it but " There are two straps, one forward one aft, with each strap coming together on the side of the airbox facing the RF inner fender, that secures the access cover" and each strap is made from one piece of metal??? Correct?? Not counting the fasteners.

regards

Ken

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
David you didn't quite say it but " There are two straps, one forward one aft, with each strap coming together on the side of the airbox facing the RF inner fender, that secures the access cover" and each strap is made from one piece of metal??? Correct?? Not counting the fasteners.

regards

Ken
Bob Lee e-mailed these Pics to me, showing that "each" strap is a pair, from 2 strips of metal. So very similar to the later coolant tank straps. More on that later.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Here are some pics of the Coolant resevoir clamps, less fastener.

Details: loop end piece about 9-1/4" overall length, other piece about 8-7/8" OA, both 3/4" wide, 4 spot welds at each over lap.

My sence is they are too short to be used as is for the GTA Aluminum box as is even if the end configurartion is right, but someone can let us know.

FWIW

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I'm pretty sure you could have bought a whole new GTA Stradella off the dealer floor in 1966 for right around that figure!
Or a well used GTA racer in the 1970s.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
No I think. Roman Tucker did that restoration on RHD GTA 752648 and as they were bringing back from a wide bodied C Sedan GTAj type to accurate 1966 as out of AD they needed a period correct Alu Air Box. I think Tucker built the box as a 1 off. Most of those alu boxes failed in era from fatigue and were replaced in 1968 when the FRP air box that Alberto reproduces was homologated. I had an original FRP (fibre reinforced plastic) without door. I used Albertos accurate repro to make an accurate well fitting (from 2 pieces) door. I then used the original box to dimension the fresh air insert that the original box has but the repros didn't have (at that time).

Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.