Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to replace the rear crank seal on my GTV6 project. I am trying to figure out what is a good way to pull the old seal (with the crankshaft in place). It is not like pulling the camshaft seals, where you can easily get a tool behind the seal and pull. Did a search on the GTV6 and this forum. Only found this picture posted by Steve, but I can't see what is actually going on in the picture.
Can Steve or someone elaborate on how to extract?

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I extracted the old seal be screwing a sheet metal screw into the seal and pulling on the screw head with a claw hammer; came out easily.

I spent the better part of an hour trying to insert the new Akron (Malo) seal (the black part in the picture). It did not want to go in. I might have been able to get it in if I had the engine on a stand, but I was working underneath the car with the engine in the engine compartment (this is happening in my GTV6 resto project). I could have gotten it in if I had removed the rear main bearing cap, but there was no way I was going to do that. I eventually figured that if I got it in, it would be in so tight that it would never come out unless the rear bearing cap was removed.

So I got an OE type seal from Alfissimo. It is similar to the upper part in the picture (the seal in the picture is the old seal that I had removed). The OE type has ribs on the OD, while the Akron OD is smooth.

The OE type seal went in without any issues.

FYI.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.