Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stainless trapezoidal mirrors on my Spider. The view out of the driver's side is OK but the right side one is not very useful. They are both suffering from deterioration of the grey plastic bead that holds in the mirror. I am considering replacing them with round mirrors that were fitted to early S2 Spiders and are readily available from the usual sources but I wonder if you can see much out of them. A convex mirror for the right side would be good.

I would like to hear of experiences (not conjecture) with possible mirrors. They must look period and preferably not need modification to the doors.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Ed, I have the round (flat) mirror on the Sprint. It is ok but the field of veiw is pretty small. I have considered putting convex mirrors on both sides but have not followed up and have not seen new mirrors with convex glass offered in several years. Seems like a waste to buy mirrors and then pay to have the glass replaced.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,568 Posts
I have 2 round mirrors on the Berlina. The passenger side is pretty much worthless. Even when properly aligned you barely see anything. I found a 4" convex mirror with adhesive backing and stuck it on for a while which helped, but that fell off eventually.

The driver side is OK, but also pretty small. Thankfully the Berlina has few blind spots.

If given a choice I would stick with oval mirrors, or at least find a convex pass mirror. I might upgrade to bullet mirrors for this reason.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might upgrade to bullet mirrors for this reason.
Is there a brand or type that you have picked out?

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,568 Posts
No, I did a little searching through eBay, but I'm afraid the stuff I can afford will pit and rust quickly, especially here in Portland. So I'm waiting. Bigger projects are in line first, like raising the front end.

But I do remember there were some with convex lenses.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I have one of the trapezoidal mirrors on my '71, and it also has a cracked gray surround, as Ed mentioned above. The mirror can be replaced, of course, but it is original, with the Alfa logo on the stem. Does anyone know it these mirrors can be refurbished?

Gene

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have started running a bead of hot glue around the plastic bead then smoothing it down. This kind of thing is not my forte and I doubt that I will get it looking professional but more artistic persons may have better results. Mine is still ugly but it is functional.

·
Registered
520 Posts
So, I have done alot of research into the trapezoidal mirrors. firstly, the alfa logo being on them does not make them original. they all have that.

Being in LA and having many other owners to review this with, we have surmised that the mirrors with the black outer-band (sold by centerline and IAP) are the worst, and will crack and loosen quickly. There is an original-quality brand sold with a light-grey plastic retainer-lip that seems to last and look good about ten-times longer.

They are sold by a company in City of Industry named Marnal (marnel maybe?) and they are about the same price. you can call them and have them mailed to you. they usually only deal with dealers and mechanics.

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
in an old alfa spares source list (AROC Detroit, 2009) there is listed

Marnal Corporation USA
501 Park Industrial Drive,
La Habra, CA 90631
1-800-522-2061
(562) 691 7773
www.marnal.com
[email protected]

website doesn't work, I'm guessing they no longer exist........

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a trapezoidal mirror on the drivers side of my '69, not sure how it got there, as it was on the car when I got it. I added a passenger (right) side mirror identical to the drivers side, purchased from Alfaholics. It matched the old mirror exactly, nice quality, grey banding. However, it was pretty much worthless on the passenger side. I have since removed it. I have an original round mirror for the '69 and although the bolt holes match the base is slightly smaller and will have to wait until I repaint the door. Most period mirrors are pretty worthless for the passenger side owing to mirror contour. The stick on slightly convex mirror seems to be about the best way to go with these period type mirrors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts