Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of going bumperless after my GTV gets fresh paint.

Question: should I fill in the visible weld divots across the rear panel (trunk floor welds)? It would look better without a rear bumper but it will no longer be original.

Also, I’m interested in other suggestions of changes to facilitate going bumperless, without precluding installing humpers in the future.

How do folks feel about eliminating the USA style license light shelf and associated holes (going back to Euro style), and using a GTA type light bracket under the license plate?

Finally, right now I am planning to eliminate both front and rear side lights. I think I can always drill and install them later if needed and the wiring harness for these is fully modular so easily left off and out back.

John
ADA03756-60EE-4293-92FD-CD42605E4C97.jpeg

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Just my opinion - I think they look great bumperless. I think the dimples give it a bit if the rawness of the bumperless look and I'd leave them. Then you're not faced with undoing something and repainting if you decide differently later. You, or the next owner, may want to go back to original, so keep all the bits and hardware.

·
Registered
258 Posts
IMG_1528.jpeg I filled mine. People like to see these welds to determine if work has been done to the car. Some say that it devalues the car. I personally like they way they look filled.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
"Finally, right now I am planning to eliminate both front and rear side lights " Not legal in some states, if not all?

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
I think shaving the rear valance welds is a matter of personal taste. I do like the look. I do think it's a mistake to fill in the extra holes that are exposed when the bumpers are removed.

We shave the USA side markers as well. If you are planning on adding the euro round markers, be advised that red lenses do not exist so plan on only installing the amber ones up front. I prefer no markers.

Many of the GTV2000s that we've built in the last few years has included boxing in the taillights and installing the smaller units. We typically retro back the front grille to the 1750 style as well.

Finally, we 3D print a license bracket that fits USA license plates nicely. The bottom extends below the plate - that's where we install LED licence plate lights.

License Plate Bracket4.jpg

Annotation 2020-05-14 225735.jpg

Annotation 2020-05-14 230126.jpg

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That is very cool. Sure looks clean.

The metal around the bumper mount hole on your pic looks like it’s indented. Is that stock? On mine the metal is flat. My mount nuts have come off so they will need to be tack welded back on from the back side. Hard to do without removing the spare well...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you say you don’t fill the bumper mount holes, does that include the holes in the lower fenders (just behind the rear wheels and forward of the front wheels)?

The painted hole caps look great

John

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Smithy,
That is very nice and totally reversible. That’s what I’m going to do.

Will stay with the 1974 front grill for now and install a long range driving beam for the left 5.75” light and maybe a cold air intake screen for the right side 5.75” hole.

I don’t see many GtV’s With front spoilers. Do you guys find them unnecessary below 90mph?

Finally, Thanks for the great advice and beautiful pictures. Almost makes me wish mine was red and not Lemans blue. The more I work on this car the more I like it compared to my old 2002’s because It’s a more rebuildable. The 2002 already showed signed of engineers doing parts that were throw-away at the end of the service life.

John

·
Registered
258 Posts

You should have a cold air intake it is the thing taped in green. This is a 1972 Spica car I think the 74 is the same.
Your mention of the 2002 made me think of my driving buddy who was an excellent driver and had a unbelievable 2002. We lost him to heart failure in December 2019

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I have that stock air snorkel. Maybe I’ll mount twin 5.75” driving lamps.

Sorry to here about your buddy. What happened to his 2002 ?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The spot welds under the rocker, rear wheel arches and rear clip are things I would look for if buying a GTV. Eliminating them will raise questions, which may require documentation to validate originality If you ever sell the car. However, it’s your car and a resto-mod, so these are pretty much moot points.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts