Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am probably getting my -62 Sprint to the paint shop later this spring/summer but I have a bit of trouble and ask for Your help.
I have all new interior for a red car with red vipla and grey canvas but I have second thoughts on the exterior paint color.
So many red cars and I would like to have something else but keep the red interior.
Originally the car has been "dark" blue but the red interior probably does not go nicely to blue cars.
First color combo that comes to my mind is dark grey and that might be a nice fit.
But give me Your suggestion on the combo and if possible add a picture too.

-kristian

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Graphite grey with red interior would be spectacular. My dream was a two tone Sprint with red interior as pictured here: Two Tone Sprint Pics

The picture is from Cars in Colour by Michael Sedgwick published by Batsford 1968. Several copies on ebay.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm in the sports car business and see colors come and go in popularity. As an example, about a third of the Ferrari 360's I built were Giallo/Nero; now that combo is a very tough to sell. Gray over red has been a consistent color combination. It wears well and the colors work. That would be my choice if I were in the same situation.

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
Red does indeed go very well with the dark blue paint !!
I agree that dark blue goes well with a red interior, though grey would look OK with red as well. Still, there is something to be said for maintaining the original color.

Also agree that red-red is a bit much.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You.

We still remain unsolved so please keep them coming.

Graphite Gray is currently the "winner" but I also agree with Alfajay´s point and color originality.
I tried to google also 105 color combo pictures but there seems not to that many good pictures. Some grey/red but all most none blue/red.

-k

·
Administrator
3,812 Posts
I am also a great fan of a red interior and to my mind white, black, light grey, dark grey and almost any shade of blue is a beautiful colour paired with a red interior - here are the ones I have on file.

The ex Barry Russinof's black Normale
A silver Normale for sale in Europe several years ago
A blue Sprint Veloce at Retromobile several years ago
The light blue SVZ 06184
My '28 Austin 7 single seater in Blu Inverno with dark red colour swatches for colour testing - this is the combination we will be using for our '60 Sprint
The ex-Keith Martin Sprint Veloce Confortevole in Graphite Grey & red
This is the best white-red combination I have

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think a dark blue with a red interior is stunning; I have seen a few Ferrari in this style, especially a 275 GTB/4. Dark grey/red also great also.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you All!

But I must tell You.
I am overwhelmed how ones (mine) memory works or in this case: does not work. I pulled out the seats and door panels. Auts.

The first picture is from a completely original low mileage red Sprint. This is the interior style that we some 7 years started to go for and finished some 7 years ago too. Some how the seat cover color changed in my memory to red during this time. But anyhow, the two other pictures are from the seats and door panels (I have the pocket clips for door panels too) that are waiting to be installed.

So this changes things. Now what we have is: Red carpet set, black and "white" seats, black back seat door panels and rear seat back, light grey roof.

Now it looks to me that red is one obvious option but I would like to have something else. Black or some other dark color might work also. I am in deeper trouble than earlier. I was almost going for the Graphite Grey, now I have second guesses.

Any new suggestions on the changed situation?

-k

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,812 Posts
Ahh you have a Giulia Sprint, that changes things a bit, the Giulia's didn't have the cloth inserts or the 2 tone door panels, instead they had 1 colour vinyl door panels and the vinyl colour was carried across the lower portion of the dashboard.

As I understand some of the Giulia Sprints had contrasting vinyl seats with different colour piping while others had the same colour as the door panels. I'm going to defer this to Dennis (Conceptalfa) as he knows Giulia Sprints better then I do. A friend owned a white one with an original olive green leather interior including the trim across the bottom of the dashboard, but that may have been a special order.

In your case with the creamy white & black seats & the black door panels and red carpets, you have a choice of body colours:

• Red being the obvious one, but then they are all resale red and you did want to be different right ?? ;)
  • Graphite Grey is a Spider colour, that said Bertone for a price, would paint it any colour you wanted...and the dark grey would contrast so nicely with the door panels at the top as well as in between the dash top and lower dash vinyls
  • Black, also very nice, hell to keep clean but the negative is while the carpet and seats would contrast beautifully the door panels and the top and bottom dash vinyl would get lost in the black on black on black
  • White - would also work as the interior would contrast very well with the exterior & the red carpet would 'lift' the interior right up.
  • Light Grey - Grigio Chiarissimo, a Sprint colour, it would tick the boxes for contrasting nicely with the interior as well as defining the door cards and the dash trim, but the risk is always the endless comments about grey primer
  • Blu Inverno (Winter Blue) would also tick all the boxes or contrasting nicely with the interior as well as defining the door cards and the dash trim
  • Blu Olandese (Dutch Blue) would do the same
  • Blu Tornado would be a third blue option
You said originally that you thought the red interior would clash with the original dark blue, but in reality the only red is the carpet, the door panels and dash vinyl's are black and the seats are pretty 2 tone, so if you like blue, then go for it - if you absolutely cannot live with the red carpet, change it for a dark blue carpet or even black and send the red carpet to me :D

At the end of the day, it has to be a colour you can live with for a long time, I know I could live with any of the above combinations, but resale red would be the bottom of my list

Ciao
Greig

1 - 13 of 13 Posts