Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this started as a whatzit doing project. My OVS was always a little oily and every time I removed the air cleaner ( I had because of a new starter installation) I would notice oil pooled in the #1 and maybe #2 throttle body intake. Me thinks that wasn't right. SOOOOOO. I took off the OVS and sure enough it had lots of rust crustaceans inside and the top was pinholed in two places.. So I did all the solvent and part cleaner dunks and have it to where nothing but clean solvent comes out it. Stage II -- what was causing the oil to pool in my intake? Ahha!!! Check the return line to the dip stick Easy enough.. blow 90 PSI in one end and it should clear it if restricted... NOT... it's blocked solid and the return was not doing ANYTHING!.. SOOOOO I take a a 18GA galvanized wire and loop the end tight to keep the end from snagging and hanging up in the line as I fed it into the line from the right side of the car. I got in about 6 inches when I hit the blockage which was like rouge mixed with axle grease after 47 years... Now I know how cardiovascular surgeons unblock arteries except i didn't have the camera on the probe.Then I worked the wire down another foot and still had resistance. SOOO I filled the line with Brakeleen and went to bed...Today I strung the wire through the hose until...EUREKA.. It appeared on the other side... More back and forth and some gas or Brakeleen to get some more crud out and it should be operating now as designed and allowing oil back in my sump rather than my intake. I think I have that right? Periodic seasonal checks will be the order of the day from now on especially with the rust component under control in the OVS. I am surprised there isn't a note in the manual to stay on top of this which is inevitable. Anyway.. Hope this helps people from having to try to string a new return line which is not easily done the way the factory did from my perspective.... I have thought about putting a tiny see-thru in-line fuel filer on the return line. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Yep you got it. It’s also important that after you clear that oil return line to pour a small amount of clean oil down into the tube, it should act like a P trap ( under your sink) to prevent gas back flow. There was a TSB on this from alfa

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
TSB as mentioned above.
I inject the oil into the hose with one of those cheap syringes you get at the chemists.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey.. maybe's it's normal. I don't know.. It was my assumption it wasn't right. For all I know it is NORMAL..even under the operational limits of a perfectly good OVS system.

No one ever commented either way so I have to assume it's an abnormality... It just might be a no-big-deal thing too. I'm not even sure the cleared return line will correct the pooling or that it is endemic to the system or effect the operation of the engine or have anything to do with it's longevity. Thanks .

·
Registered
14 Posts
So after checking my return line over the weekend.......guess what? totally clogged. So the next couple evenings will be spent checking all the vacuum lines and making sure everything else is free and clear!. Thanks again for your post.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after checking my return line over the weekend.......guess what? totally clogged. So the next couple evenings will be spent checking all the vacuum lines and making sure everything else is free and clear!. Thanks again for your post.
Always nice to help some of my brethren up Norte. The wire trick does a good job... just try to get it as kink-less as you can. I doubt the other lines have tha clog collection as they are all uphill. The one that is clogged is a low spot and we must agree it's going to fall victim to the crud and sediment even if the OVS doesn't contribute with debris. Ever seen the bottom of an sump? .. That stuff can be like lard. have some happy times. We never stop learning. .

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks! I was able to snake the wire in there eventually, but in my first attempt, I couldn't get it past the first bend, because it was clogged up. Some carb cleaner, and a break to drink a beer was enough to loosen it up, and then the wire went through easily. Happy driving everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts