Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. You all have been so helpful so far, that I'll pose another question.
My restoration project has a new center muffler and catalyst. But the rear muffler is shot. I was considering the Ansa system, mostly because it is bolt-on.
I could use the oem, but its is a little to quiet. Or perhaps my local muffler fellow could just fabricate something with a small thrush or something...
BUT WAIT!!!! :rolleyes: Alfacentro.com has a spyder rear "stinger" which looks like essentially a straight-thru pipe. And its only $45.00!!
I don't want this thing to sound like my old Formula Ford, but a healthy exhaust would be sorta cool....
Whatya all think?

Keeth Lawrence
84 Spyder restoration

·
Registered
880 Posts
keeth
That "stinger" muffler sounds like a good deal for your spider. Since my74 GTV does not need to be smoged anymore i was thinking of cutting the catalyic converter out so i can get e few extra horses.:)

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I recommend having the resinator/restrictor taken out. You don't gain ponies (at least I don't think so), but you're engine breaths so much better, it feel's like you're car's stuffy nose has been cleared out. It also give the car a little tune.

·
Registered
208 Posts
For my spider I had my local muffler guy cut off the rear muffler and weld in a striaght pipe with a small chrome tip. He used the bend over the axle from the original. I like the way it sounds especaily with out the cat.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Linea Rosssa in Ft Lauderdale sells a rear straight for about $35.Had one on my old GTV and it sounded great.

alfacupp said:
For my spider I had my local muffler guy cut off the rear muffler and weld in a striaght pipe with a small chrome tip. He used the bend over the axle from the original. I like the way it sounds especaily with out the cat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did it reversed

Your problem sounds like my story, except backward.

I replaced my rear muff with the Ansa part you were considering. I kept the stock cat (feeling nostalgic I suppose). About six months later, my center muff rusted to the point that it was rattling under the car.

I had a local shop staffed with Good Ole Boys fabricate a straight pipe to between my cat and rear with the flanges from the rusted center. It cost me $40 and I couldn't be happier.

I don't have any more power, but it revs so much faster and more freely. As for the sound, it's only ever so slightly louder at idle. Cruising around is definately not what I'd consider loud. However, at full throttle, it's developed a nice high pitched, very Italian, rip. This makes me grin. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts