Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the suspension is pretty much done in the GTV, it's time to move on to the next step. Which will either be an exhaust system, carbruetors, or a brake upgrade. All in the 500 -/+ area. I pretty much know what I already want, except for the exhaust system. I want to get some opinions on exhaust systems, and what you think is the proper setup. I've been thinking performance headers, 1&4 - 2&3 all the way to the pipe. Then a straight 2 1/4" pipe all the way to the back and a rear muffler, to muffle down the noise. Also any recommendations & places to purchase headers and rear mufflers? I was thinking Ansa or Stinger, for a rear muffler.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Chris,

Just remember that exhaust system mods before the axle are subject to additional modification points. You may want to run a point total so you don't make a decision that bumps you into a higher class than you desire to run. This refers to AROSC events.

With the suspension mods I'm doing on my GTV I can't afford any exhaust points.

Just something to consider.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dan,

My GTV is more of a street car. So I want to get the most I can get with a exhaust, and I don't want to make a exhaust mod that will kill my torque.

As for the AROSC events, all I care about is thrashing my car (being on the track). I'm not really a competitive person, and don't really care about ranks. I'm my own competition.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Alfapwr said:
Hi Chris,

Just remember that exhaust system mods before the axle are subject to additional modification points.
Dan
Hi Alfapwr

Is there a web page for all the information on modification points? Or I have to find them out on the AROSC newsletter?

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The collective wisdom I've heard is that the stock 2-piece cast iron manifold will give the best performance on a street car. I had a 2.5 inch collector welded to my stock downpipes, and had a custom 2.5 inch system fabbed with flanges at the collector and in front of the rear axle for easy removel. Main muffler (in front of axle) is a Magnaflow, and there's a "glasspack" resonator at the back (although it's the newer style that doesn't really have fibreglass in it).

It's loud under acceleration and above 4500 RPM, but it's OK around town and freeway cruising. Really lets the car breath, and sounds great. Sounds a little flat at idle, but then that's not a place the car spends much time...

·
Registered
380 Posts
exhaust

Hi I did exhaust on my 1750 spider a few years ago. After looking around I went with the Stebro Stainless Steel system. It basicaly is the stock design with much bigger pipes. Very nice quality and fit. Good free flow and sound without being obnoxious. I kept the stock cast iron header. If I was building my own I would use one big muffler in the middle and add a rear one if it was to loud.

·
Registered
178 Posts
AutoDelta & Magnaflow

The best exhaust for a street Alfa is a combination of racing headers and street mufflers. The old 4 to 2 to 1 AutoDelta headers are the best, adding power down low as well as freeing up the top end. Copies are available from Paul Spruell and Ron Norman "Alfa Parts" expensive. For the rest of the exhaust, Magnaflow has dyno tested and perfected systems that arn't too loud for the street. Go there and have them fit it for your car,,,,get dynoed too!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Ansa Exhaust

I was wondering what is the general consensus on Ansa exhaust components. The reason I am asking now is because I just installed this rear exhaust section.

My exhaust is still loud and I suspect it's coming from the center section. I am planning on going to an exhaust shop I've used, to have them fabricate a center section.

OTOH, does anyone know of an exhaust shop that deals in stainless steel? The one I used to deal with packed up and left.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Here it is on my GTV. The pipes hang too low for the stock hanger. Plus they stick out a little further than the stock piece it replaced.

Like the custom bird **** on the bumper?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hi Kai!

The bird **** is right on, it's right on the "golden triangle" and makes a perfect focus point for the rear of your GTV. :D

Anyway, does ANSA sell the TIPS only to be welded on a stock muffler? Mine has the exact ANSA tips, but it looks like the muffler is stock :confused:

My whole exhaust system is about 4 inches to the ground, any idea how to jack it up? (It sits 1 in lower than the bottom of my car)

It also has an unknown 4-2-1 header on it. How can I tell who made it? Cannot find the receipts for both of them. :)

67GTV said:
Here it is on my GTV. The pipes hang too low for the stock hanger. Plus they stick out a little further than the stock piece it replaced.

Like the custom bird **** on the bumper?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Ansa is not a good exhaust for the GTV. It is actully very restrictive. I had one on for way too long (6 years). I purchased a centerline stinger and my world changed. Can't beleive I did not do this sooner. The exhaust note sounds fabulous and makes the car feel alive. The throttle resonse and overall power feels stronger from what I was used to.

You should also talk to Anthony or our moderator Simon. They have a custom fab magnaflow exhaust that sounds great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts