Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the dimensions of the stud that connects the cast iron headers to the exhaust (not the stud in the head)? I know it's 8x1.25 on the threads, but I need to know the length. Is it a fully-threaded stud or is it split in the middle?

Thanks for any help - I need to replace one and want to have the correct part up front.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I not sure about the factory specs but I just replaced all 6 studs on my Verde. They were approximately 1.75 inches long with a 1/3" split where the manifold rests. All fitted well with room for the brass nut & washer. The local AutoZ--- had heat treated ones with the correct pitch for a song. Good luck.:cool:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I not sure about the factory specs but I just replaced all 10 studs on my Verde. They were approximately 1.75 inches long with a 1/3" split where the manifold rests. All fitted well with room for the brass nut & washer. The local AutoZ--- had heat treated ones with the correct pitch for a song. Good luck.:cool:
For the header to exhaust I used the same size - as I have the downpipes that bold directly to the manifold. If you have the stock setup with the spacer and beveled exhaust pipe, 3" stud w/o split should do it.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have the stock setup.

I called Alfa Parts in Berkeley today and it turns out they had the header-to-exhaust studs in stock as an Alfa part. Go figure. Once I get them and make sure they fit I'll measure one and report back.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi Tom,
I recently broke the studs on my GTV6 and have been putting off this repair, mainly because i wasn't sure how to fix it. How are you going to go about removing the broken stud and installing the new one. Could you detail the repair and take some pictures when you do it?
thanks,
Bob

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I'm going to have my exhaust guy do it. This does not look like a fun job without a lift. He didn't have the part, though, so I wanted to track that down myself.

The stud isn't broken, just stripped at one point. He's going to double-nut it, heat the cast iron header red hot with a torch to get it to release, and then wrench it out.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got 'em. Alfa part # 135 17 821

8x1.25, 72mm total length (12mm tap end, 36mm body, 24mm nut end)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi Tom,
I recently broke the studs on my GTV6 and have been putting off this repair, mainly because i wasn't sure how to fix it. How are you going to go about removing the broken stud and installing the new one. Could you detail the repair and take some pictures when you do it?
thanks,
Bob
If its sheared flush, your only choice is to remove the header, put it in a vice and drill it out:(
if you have some potruding, you may be able to tease out whats left by putting some heat into it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts