Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've searched here, but haven't found a definitive posting - I need a new tailpipe to replace my twin-tip Ansa. Has anybody gone from the twin to the single? I love the sound of the Ansa, and want to continue with that.

Suggestions of something similar would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recently replaced my rusting muffler and tailpipe with the Centerline stinger that a lot of people on this board recommend. It bolts up to the stock setup easily and sounds great, IMO. Not too loud, but there's no question that the engine is running :)

I also noticed a single tip Ansa muffler for sale on ebay today: item no. 250136955633

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My only concern with the stinger is not passing the visual inspection part of the emissions test. Do any California folks have experience with this? Otherwise that option is very tempting, particularly as I imagine the lack of a muffler would mean there's less risk of that thing vibrating against the body.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Not being in Cali, I can't see how the absense of the rearmost muffler, (actually a resonator IIRC), which has literally zero to do with emmissions, could force a failure.

AFA the 'visual' part of it, you'll be lucky if they even have a clue what kind of car it is, let alone whether it's got 2 cans or 1 and will prolly be content that it has a cat.

Again, I'm not there so don't know how stupid they can be, but somehow I think I'd have fits if they tired to fail mine for something so irrelevant as that.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback.

From my understanding, removal of anything that changes the configuration of the emissions system will make you fail the visual test. That's how replacing the filter canister with K&N filters (as I had) can make you fail. And I'd rather not have to change the tailpipe every two years, if for nothing else than I've got rather limited space to store large car parts.

Any California folks care to comment?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an 86 that has a straight pipe in lieu of the rear muffler and while the sound is good the vibration wears on you after a short while. I just had the car in the shop for some other work and it was suggested that the remaining muffler may need replacing (hard to tell over the noise coming out the straight pipe). I looked for the combo described in this thread (stinger and magnaflo) but can't find it. Please excuse my ignorance if the stinger is the straight pipe I have. If it is, then I will have one for sale soon. At this point I am looking at getting the center muffler and Ansa single tip from IAP. Any guidance is appreciated.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I put the new Centerline stinger-type tailpipe on the spider Saturday. Not too thrilled with the sound - it sounds like when my Ansa had a hole in it, although I do like the slight crackling on the overrun. I'd rather have something more raspy, but I'll hang on to this for a while and see if it grows on me.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If you're getting crackling, you may have a leak at one of the exhaust joints. (about the only time pipes crackle and pop in normally asperated cars is when the mix is too rich or there's an air leak in the exhaust)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I recall correctly, the fuel cutoff solenoid is not functioning perfectly on the SPICA. There was some slight backfiring before on the overrun, two mechanics have deemed it to not be harmful.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Having done time in the "land of fruits & nuts" I know that passing emissions can be a real PITA. If you have any doubts at all about passing go back with a stock sustem. I might add that the Ansa twin tip tailpipe was not stcok and it apparently passed at least once.

I don't understand all of the tadoo about a stinger/straight tail pipe. I just replaced my clapped out rear muffler with a straight pipe that I welded in place of the muffler and I can barely tell the difference. But hey living down here in the jungles no body cares what we do to our cars anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts