Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Exhaust smell in the car -S3

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Alfa-Born 
#1 ·
Friends....do you have this problem?

I have double checked all sections of the muffler (original Parts),re-torqued all the bolts, checked for leaks (none found). I continue to get a strong smell of exhaust inside the car with all the windows and top up. I went to the extreme to add a longer tail-pipe tip extensions to reduce or eliminate the " suction" thru the trunk (see Image).

Any idea or suggestion I can check on the car to reduce this issue?

All suggestions are welcomed.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My bet would be leaking from head/exhaust manifold, or exhaust manifold to downpipe flange. Start your car when cold with the hood open and take a look in there; smell around for exhaust fumes and listen for leaks at the above areas.

Or maybe it's all the traffic around you getting sucked into YOUR car! :wink2:

#7 ·
If you are sure there are no exhaust leaks then I thnk it has to do with some strange aerodynamics. The extended, down facing exhaust tip sometimes helps. But I have found - in our '84 Spider - that if I drive with one window partially open I smell exhaust fumes. If I partially open both windows it goes way. Plus, even when I don't need heat, I'll often run the blower to supply fresh air from the cowl vent into the cabin. Even with the fan off, forward motion should push fresh air in. So check that fresh air can come in that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.