Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If you don't have to pass any kind of sniffer test, now would be the time to knock the guts out of that cat, replace the 02 sensor, and carry on your merry way........

I posted the other day about a replacement sensor I found that's Bosch, relatively inexpensive and definitely compatible.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Pardon the spelling....

How do you "eviserate" a cat convertor?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Usually a hammer and prybar, long screwdriver, or pretty much anything that'll reach through the length of the cat chamber.

Bust the monolyth up into hunks and dump it out through the pipe and you get an (almost) instant expansion chamber.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Bosch Premium "universal" 3 wire #15735 was my substitute. Got it from The Parts Bin. Bin doing fine on my 87 Quad for 3 years.
Other posts on the BB indicate Bosch #13953 is also good.

TTFN Elio

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Usually a hammer and prybar, long screwdriver, or pretty much anything that'll reach through the length of the cat chamber.

Bust the monolyth up into hunks and dump it out through the pipe and you get an (almost) instant expansion chamber.
I'll use the BFH.

·
Registered
416 Posts
BFH = Big F:eek::eek:g Hammer

LAS = Long A** Screwdriver

:D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BFH = Big F:eek::eek:g Hammer

LAS = Long A** Screwdriver

:D
Yea, I used a BFH and a LAS to knock all that CAT junk out. Now I just need a replacement O2 sensor and should be good to go. Or at least good to go until I have to go through emissions in '09 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
150 Posts
When the honeycomb on my cat went sideways and suddenly I couldn't go over 50, a certain unnamed third party cut the cat open and removed offending innards and sealed it back up with nice weld.

Downside to this is that occasional foul odor wafts to my ever so-sensitive nostrils :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Geneseeing is believing! Not rotten eggs, somewhat different than that. Pretty sure the spider is to blame. More along the gaseous noxious fume line.. but only at brief intervals (coming to a stop at a light after some spirited driving).

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Kinda 'oily' or 'gassy'? (noxious is so vague :) )

There's numerous threads on dealing with gas smell, but oil could be quite a few things from leaks spraying the exhaust to a mis-connected or gumed up oil vapor seperator, or even the diff or trans spritzing a little bit of hot gear oil here and there. (cooked/cooking gear oil is pretty rank compared to motor oil BTW)

·
Registered
150 Posts
ok, cork sniffing complete... After much deliberations with myself I'd say we are on the gassy fuel-smell with a whiff of super-heated catalyst gasses. Essentially when I come to a stop the cloud "catches-up" with me and then dissipates. Also despite having the head rebuilt earlier this spring, I get a small bit of blackish-grey smoke if I really stomp on it from a dead stop as run through 1st and 2nd, and is no longer apparent in 3rd.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts