Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently acquired GTV runs great, but the fumes from the exhaust pipe make me dizzy:eek: It has some kind of aftermarket twin outlet exhaust which points upward and outward toward driver's side. Thinking about going back to something closer to stock configuration.

I did a similar thing with removing K&N's installed by previous owner and reinstalling the original airbox (glad it came complete with the car). Car has better throttle response with original airbox, and no sucking sound idling at the stoplight.

Anyways, any thoughts on the exhaust?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine is not yet road-worthy, but your problem was discussed at our local club last year and the pres. suggested you are on the right track. Others complained about the problem and were told that the air dynamics tended to bring the exhaust fumes back in the car with either some after market exhausts or the wrong exhaust for the particular vehicle.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If the tip of the exhaust isn't pointed down like the original there is indeed a tendency to draw exhaust into the car. However, much of the problem can be due to leaks in the boot area which can be remedied by new (troublesome) seals.

·
Registered
291 Posts
fumes

If you search the site, you'll find a number of discussions on this topic. There are many possibilities ranging from improper venting of the fuel system to dried up tail light to body gaskets. I suggest checking everything out especially the fuel venting...

Good luck.

GMack
Minneapolis
74 GTV
69 Spider

1 - 4 of 4 Posts