Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, what are the different makes of mufflers for the 164L? I need to change the muffler on my L, and I would like to know what my options are. I did a search, but could not come up with phone numbers for Stebro (for example) nor could I find CISAM on a google search.

Help!

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I went with magnaflow. It's a cheap option and sounds really nice, but after my restoration, I will go back to either stock or something else that is a little quieter. I think I have a video of my car accelerating on my links below for 164S.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I have a CISAM S muffler on my L and really like it, it is only slightly louder than the stock L muffler and has the added benefit of filling the bumper cutout with the dual stainless tips. CISAM is the OEM brand. I also have the OEM CISAM center muffler. The usual vendors that sell OEM exhaust systems could confirm that the OEM system they are selling is a genuine CISAM item or something else.
Charles

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I had been really impressed with the sound of my son's '92S (prior to ditch). When I looked under it as we considered transferring its exhaust system to his new replacement car, I found that it was strictly stock CISAM 164S components. I was very pleasantly surprised. It might have been nicer had it been a Stebro, but this means that when the time comes to replace my wife's S exhaust (non-stock) I can use stock parts and expect an improvement.

Michael

·
Registered
460 Posts
My 91S has the full cat back stebro system. It has a very throaty sound. On a long drive it can be a little much. In my opinion the aftermarket exhaust systems for Alfa's do not seem to fit as well as the OEM systems. As ChazzyD mentions make sure you know what a seller is really offering and at what price.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I just purchased a new S muffler for my L from DeFatta Brothers. They gave me a sweet deal!! It seems from what y'all say, the OEM mufflers are the best compromise between sound (I love that sound) and loudness.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
My 91S has the full cat back stebro system. It has a very throaty sound. On a long drive it can be a little much. In my opinion the aftermarket exhaust systems for Alfa's do not seem to fit as well as the OEM systems. As ChazzyD mentions make sure you know what a seller is really offering and at what price.
I agree bigtime. Louder may seem nice around town but on the highway it is a nightmare.

I myself feel that the stock set up is very good. I am running stock everything except a Euro center exhaust (2 silencers in place of CAT, triangle resonator) and a Remus exhaust (which sounds fantastic), the sound is so much nicer than stock. Nice low rumble as usual and when revved up a nice tone that is not too loud, maybe sounds like a stock ferrari V8. Ansa is also a nice option. Sounds good not loud. I agree the after market systems such as some mentioned don't fit well! This is one reason I kept it stock except for the rear silencer which is factory spec fit. Ansa rear fits perfect!
I have heard a lot of issues with the Stebro! But not sure!
I think your best bet is to replace with a S/Q Cisam or Ansa! Keep the rest stock and don't remove the center muffler if it rusts, you will regret it, I sure did!!
I
Ciao!

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
I am running bone stock front pipes, cat and mid round on B w/AT and same front with oval mid on B w/5-speed and Cisam S rear mufflers. How sweet the sound low end town driving and no drone on highway.

Our 93L is bone stock set up with single rear pipe. What a sissy sound. Hush is the sound of silence but Rosso still sh**'t and gets. Just using up some spare parts so until I get another S cisam she will be silent but deadly.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a cat back Stebro exhaust for my 95 LS. Very good quality components. Dual tailpipes replace the chrome oval tailpipe. The aftermarket 95 LS stock mufflers are a joke with a chinsy chrome oval. If you want to keep it stock, you have to go with the stock Alfa muffler.

The cat back Stebro is great around town and over 70 mph. The 60 - 70 range is a bit much for me. I'm replacing the Stebro resonator (middle section) back to stock right now. Hoping it helps. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just got the car back. Changed the resonator to CISAM, kept the Stebro muffler. Wow. Much more liveable as a daily driver. Probably lost some horses though. The Stebro resonator is mostly straight through.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Just got the car back. Changed the resonator to CISAM, kept the Stebro muffler. Wow. Much more liveable as a daily driver. Probably lost some horses though. The Stebro resonator is mostly straight through.
Doubt it:) ! OEM is straight though as well with 4 rows of holes on each side of the later part of the silencer to reduce that annoying sound that you noticed at 70+. I think you just moved around the power to another spot on the RPM band.

I would have to say that it would be hard to beat the stock setup unless your pushing 300+hp.
But at 200-230 range, the stock 2 1/4 is pretty darn good.

I am running the stock no cat to a Remus and it is fantastic. very very drivable around and on the highway! Lovely sound too. One of these days I will get a sound clip.

Jason

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Now that the daughter is driving Quik Silver solo, I was thinking about pulling rear S Cisam off of it and putting on stock L Cisam single outlet muffler but then I couldn't hear her when she gets home so maybe I won't.

She just drove up only 43 minutes late.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I would say that the best deal around is to get a GOOD exhaust shop to make a system for you. There is a guy here in town(Louisville) that I took a buddies wifes S to. He made a perfect stainless cat back system for the car using Magnaflow mufflers. The system had a resonator and a muffler. It sounded great on the street and on the highway. I think the final price with tax etc was around $350.00.
I'm having him replace the Fetta Sedan system as we speak with basically the same system only I'm cheap (broke) and he's using aluminized pipes with the stainless mufflers.
I just can't see paying that much money for the Stebro systems. I've personally seen two on separate Alfas that have holes rusted in them?
I thought stainless didn't rust!

I'll take some pics of the Fetta exhaust as soon as he finishes it.

It may be a couple of days as he was in the hospital today to repair a cut hand suffered from a gasket spinning in the die grinder. Oops!

Paul

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Now that the daughter is driving Quik Silver solo, I was thinking about pulling rear S Cisam off of it and putting on stock L Cisam single outlet muffler but then I couldn't hear her when she gets home so maybe I won't.

She just drove up only 43 minutes late.
LOL, Just seeing what I have to look forward too. :D Good laugh.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Does anyone make a good stainless exhaust that sounds like the stock. My personal preference is to not have a loud performance muffler. I like the sound of the stock S. The ones that I have purchased in the past from IAP & Centerline don't seem to last long. I've checked with local shops and the only thing they offer in stainless is performance mufflers.

Thanks - Terry

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Does anyone make a good stainless exhaust that sounds like the stock. My personal preference is to not have a loud performance muffler. I like the sound of the stock S. The ones that I have purchased in the past from IAP & Centerline don't seem to last long. I've checked with local shops and the only thing they offer in stainless is performance mufflers.

Thanks - Terry
I offer the CISAM OEM units only. That is the best quality for steel and performance and sound. If you don't drive your car much or stop and go it will rust no matter what.
But these are the best available for a standard system. Larger stainless is available but That is not what your looking for.
I prefer nice and quiet myself and the stock is great.
You can even do a S/Q rear muffler for a dual tip look and nice sound.

Jason

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, I want to replace my L's mid muffler with an S mid muffler. Will it fit? (I think they are shaped different). What do you guys think? I already have the S rear muffler.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Hey, I want to replace my L's mid muffler with an S mid muffler. Will it fit? (I think they are shaped different). What do you guys think? I already have the S rear muffler.
No it won't fit as S inlet to mid pipe is dual out of cat. B/L/LS/Q mid muffler pretty much the same with single inlet so nothing gained.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts