Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Looking to have my exhaust manifold coated and not sure of the average temperature of the manifold when the car has been running as speed.

Looked in the threads and did not see an answer. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, JP

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Way too frikkin hot to touch?

Actually msiert or one of that gaggle he hangs out with might know something more specific as they have those cool temp sensor guns and stuff and just love to point them at things.

Fairly certain Murray actually had some #'s in the black spider thread from around the time he was fiddling with an airbox and heat shields, but no promises on that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The best way is to have a coating that is baked on in an oven, 1200-1500 deg temp wise should be used including ceramic in the coating.

Remember that even though it can withstand the temp it is still normal for certain colors to slightly change under extreme heat.

You can also take it to a powder coating shop that has the correct coatings for exhaust manifolds/headers.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all! That was exactly what I needed. Local shop had two temp specs for powders and was not sure which one to use. Have a great day!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks all! That was exactly what I needed. Local shop had two temp specs for powders and was not sure which one to use. Have a great day!
Just an fyi: Any shop offering these coatings should know which to use on what part of the exhaust, the manifold is always hotter then a pipe so the highest offering of heat rated coating should be used, it may be that they have not done enough of them to know which to use yet which is understandable so long as its done correctly. I have a shop that I go to and all I have to do is hand them the part and tell them what its for and they know the heat rating required.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fair point.....that is why I moved on from the shop that offered me a choice. He told me 400 degree rated powder and I knew that sounded too low. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts