Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
The work continues on my 1985 Spider head gasket/ head rebuild project.

Question 1: is it stock or typical to have the second exhaust tube (cyl # 3) to have slotted bolt holes instead of standard clearance holes like cyl 1,4,and 2?

The manifold was held on by standard nut and washers....obviously the slotted mounting flange had washers that were "****ed". No real exhaust leaks noted by listening....perhaps I just didn't notice??:confused:
I know pics are held close to the heart in these forums so I have attached a best pic obtainable. The third pic shows the gasket removed on said cylinder and looks to be sealing OK???

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I have attached a copy of the "milk shake" oil in the head......indicating the reason why I am tearing this lovely engine apart in the first place!!! As Vince recomended, I will be using my wife's favorite turkey baster to extract the goop!!! Stay tuned!

Question 2: Quite obvious.....should I replace the manifold or use flat,"rectangular tab" type washers on this flange......or maybe weld it???

Trying to get this "driver" on the road in good , safe operating condition.....not a build an Amelia Island show stopper.

As always.....the expertise on this forum is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Exhaust Manifold - 1985 Spider Normal????

Here she is in all her glory.
It has been said the the original owner bought her to park her outside his two Italian resteraunts on Federal Hill in Providence RI. I guess to create that "Italian Ambiance". Not a bad marketing gig!!!
I am growing fond of her and hope that the head gasket is the only thing keeping me from cruising amongst the various Italian resteraunts "on da hill" in Prov. RI.

Attachments

·
Registered
what part?
10,488 Posts
milkshake= new headgasket on the exhaust manifold, some cut into the manifold for some reason.. to make it easyer to instale? perhaps... don't know why, the stock manifolds are pretty easy to instale.. headers.. bit harder..

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have a good used exhaust maniflod in un-screwed up condition if you are interested.
(45.00 plus shipping). Only reason I replaced it is that I bought a new one off a guy who bought it at great expense but never used it. I got the new one at a good price (much more than $45.00) and was able to paint it with silver heat resistant paint before installing it, using new the brass nuts and the steel lockwashers as supplied by IAP.

Just in case you mght be interested.

Good Luck, Ropbert Hill in Memphis, TN [email protected]

·
Registered
what part?
10,488 Posts
that is a very pretty car... and RED to boot..( RED cars are faster.. rmember the ' red shift' the fastest things in the universe are traveling at the biggest 'red shift')

1 - 6 of 6 Posts