Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GTV has a stainless exhaust built by a guy using the Magnaflow front section and magnaflow mufflers. I acquired a front section and commissioned him to mimic the rest of the system.

I recently noticed as I was poking around under the car that the hanger on the rear muffler is a very hard block rubber. Should this have been a softer more flexible rubber mount? It really doesn't budge at all. It seems more like a solid mount that can absorb some vibrations since it is rubber. Looks like something domestic that he has in his parts bins.

I ask because 1) I seem to have seen and held rubber mounts that were a lot softer, and 2) I get occasional cracking of the exhaust and have to bring it in for some spot welding. Once, the bracket mounted to the transmission broke off and he removed it and said I didn't need it. After that it broke near the rear muffler after it comes down over the axle. He was no longer at his shop and his replacement said I should put the bracket back on. I have since put a bracket back on.

My engine is not the smoothest one around and maybe I need some new engine mounts but if the front is flexing around and the back doesn't flex around, something has to give.

·
Premium Member
21,809 Posts
Got a picture? The stock mounts are pretty hard rubber, maybe 1.5 x 4", two holes, steel insert in each hole so the bolt doesn't crush the rubber. The exhaust needs to hang happily, then be bolted up. If it's forced into place can cause vibrations, beyond actually hitting anything.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,809 Posts
Is it an rpm-related vibration or roadspeed-related? Plenty of sources for both. And if you have a pan guard, could be hitting that. And the trans mount, which in my experience deteriorates faster than the motor mounts and is impossible to see, so can go undetected.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I don't think it's a vibration. I have a poor idle and it shakes around a lot. Need to correct that first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts