Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Spider
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So still working toward getting my brothers 82 spider going, making progress, but studying the wiring diagram noted the EXH SENSOR light. So tracking it out it appears to be controls by a 30k mile maintenance device, where is this and is it a timer? When it lights what do you check?
Think I found the trouble my brother had with the car not running, it was a clogged fuel line in the tank pump. Cleaning out the tank before put it back in.

Dan

·
Administrator
17,703 Posts
The EXH SENSOR light was set to illuminate every 30K miles whereupon one was supposed to take the car to their local Alfa dealer so they could check the O2 sensor (and reset the light). The mileage minder is under the hood a little forwards of the brake master cylinder. The cap over the reset button was wired on (safety wire). The original speedometer cable was in two section - one cable from the transmission to the mileage minder and a second cable from there to the speedometer. Some owners replaced the two sections with the single piece cable from an earlier model (in which case the mileage minder won't measure the miles & light up the dash lamp.

To reset the light see reply #5 here: Chocolate Mess Under Hood

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
506 Posts
The sensor light is controlled mechanically thru the speedometer cable. The first section of the speedo cable runs from the transmission to a small box on a bracket off the L inner fender near the exhaust manifold. The second part of the cable then goes to the speedometer and odometer.

When the small box on the bracket clicks thru 30,000 miles it turns on the EXH SENSOR light. It's supposed to be a prompt to replace the O2 sensor and the catalytic converter. There's a pusbutton to reset the box.

Buy a one-piece speedometer cable, throw away the box, and cut off the metal bracket supporting the box. Suddenly your speedometer needle won't waver wildly, and the way the engine runs will tell you if you have an O2 Sensor or a catalytic converter problem, better than the annunciator light ever did.

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Registered
1982 Spider
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, that one piece speedo cable sounds like a good idea!
Tnx
Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts