Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Under what Circumstances would you buy a 4c? Select all that apply:

• The Coupe is for sale in the US.

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • The Coupe is less than 2000 lbs. in US trim.

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • The Coupe has a roomier interior than an Elise.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • The Coupe is less than $65K US.

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • The Spider is for sale in the US.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • The Spider is less than 2100 lbs. in US trim.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • The Spider has a roomier interior than an Elise.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • The Spider is less than $65K US.

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am. If they deliver as promised, I'll sell my Ferrari and buy one.

Please chime in on the Poll. If there is enough interest, perhaps we can influence Fiat's management.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Though I can't afford one, I talked to a friend who can and is very excited about them. He thinks if it arrives as promised, he'll buy one. I'll share my thoughts after that!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
In the other thread you asked for Pros and Cons, well it's sort of hard to list them for a car that's not in production, but here goes:

Cons:

The car as a production model doesn't exist. Alfa Romeo and the Fiat group have a bad history of showing prototypes they never build.

History has also shown that if they do build it, it will look different.

All recent Alfas have had performance way behind their competitors, often at a higher price. I see no reason to suspect this will be any different.

It's been 30 years and they still haven't made a decent timing belt tensioner for the V6. I worry about what major issue this car will have that owners will be dealing with 30 years from now, and with no meaningful help from the manufacturer.

Pros:

It looks great!

It should be fun to drive.

Even if it's everything we hope for, and at a decent price, it will still be very exclusive. Fiat can't market its way out of a paper bag so you won't see one on every block.

Rear Wheel Drive!

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Sorry, no way...

I absolutely support the return of Alfa, and the mechanical specifications are very interesting. However, while the styling may look good to others, It just doesn't appeal to me.

...Please chime in on the Poll. If there is enough interest, perhaps we can influence Fiat's management.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Myself & three friends were fortunate to get complimentary invites from Fiat Group Switzerland and visited the Geneva show on 12th March.

As well as getting up close & personal to the latest Ferrari & Maserati offerings, we were allowed behind the wire on the 4C stands and to open her up & peer inside.

It's a really nice car in the similar style to the Lotus Exeige but easier to get in & out of.

In its concept form it wouldn't make a usable car as there's no front boot (or trunk if I understand "your" language well enough..lol).

I have friends that have placed deposits on orders for the 4C but for me it's too hardcore as a daily driver & too expensive as a plaything.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>> similar style to the Lotus Exeige but easier to get in & out of.

Huge plus for me! That's my biggest concern, and I suspected that they made it thus, but it is nice to hear some confirmation.

>> Alfa Romeo and the Fiat group have a bad history of showing prototypes they never build.
>> I have friends that have placed deposits on orders for the 4C

Well, with Fiat apparently taking deposits, that builds some confidence in a productive outcome. :)

>> it wouldn't make a usable car as there's no front boot (or trunk

If they keep somewhere close to the claimed weight, it will be a supremely usable car as the handling will put a sparkle in your eye and a smile on your face with every trip to the grocery store. So what if you have to go 3 times a day to get enough to eat! :D

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crap! I realized that I left out a very key choice in the poll: "I would not buy the 4c."

Now I can't find a way to edit it, so I guess that I will have to add up the yes votes and infer the no votes from the totals.

Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
buy a new 4C?

how about 3 years after the first sales when the first leases start to end and low mileage examples can be had for a quarter to half the price of new?

I know you meant buy a new one, right!

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It won't be a lease car. Low production similar to the 8c;)
I think you are probably right. You have to hand it to Alfa: the price of 8cs has held up far better than anyone thought they would. You can get a used 430 cheaper, a lot cheaper, than a used 8c.

I think they may try the same trick w/ the 4c. I don't care. If I am alive and getting a paycheck when the cars arrive, I'm buying. Then I'll sell the Ferrari.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
No !!!!!!!!!!!!! Build this one!!!!!!! and price it between 20-30k..it will sell like hot cakes( or something close in Italain:) )
Well, back in 1994 the US Spider was already in that price range...

Best regards,

·
Registered
what part?
9,994 Posts
no reason not to keep it that way, keep the car simple..abs, a few airbags..not to much tech, let the drive do some of the work.. why do we need a 65k little convertable? keep it so the masses( us ) can buy it, and have fun driving it..

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no reason not to keep it that way, keep the car simple..abs, a few airbags..not to much tech, let the drive do some of the work.. why do we need a 65k little convertable? keep it so the masses( us ) can buy it, and have fun driving it..
I agree that they also need a more affordable model, but you can not build a car as light as the concept without some costly tech. I'll pay for it. Hell, I would already have an Exige or Elise, but it takes me 3 minutes to get in one. Kind of takes the joy out of a casual drive in my toy. So now Alfa goes Lotus one better, and I couldn't be more excited. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the best comparable Alfa of recent times is the SZ.

Low production, LHD only & fairly costly.

The 4C will retail for c£40 - 50k in the UK.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the best comparable Alfa of recent times is the SZ.

Low production, LHD only & fairly costly.

The 4C will retail for c£40 - 50k in the UK.
Except the SZ is a tank! At least compared to the 4c it is. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
after VW buys Alfa Romeo----i am quite sure that the 4C will never be built.....at least not with that hideous generic design they used in Geneva....if there is such a thing as the 4C, it will be a proper design, penned by Walter De Silva......after the VW takeover.....i'll think about this question then! :D

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
>> after VW buys Alfa Romeo

Ha Ha! It ain't gonna happen. The Italians would rather go bankrupt. As for the car, supposedly they are taking deposits in England, so that sounds pretty serious.

Would you like any of my other opinions based upon zero knowledge? :D

·
Registered
847 Posts
after VW buys Alfa Romeo----i am quite sure that the 4C will never be built.....at least not with that hideous generic design they used in Geneva....if there is such a thing as the 4C, it will be a proper design, penned by Walter De Silva......after the VW takeover.....i'll think about this question then! :D
Coming from the person who wrote this before...

i have NEVER owned an Alfa Romeo. I'm an Audi fan....
We're hanging on your every word.... :rolleyes:

If this was any other Alfa forum you woulda got shut down a long time ago.. Cool to have an "opinion", but continuing lies that couldn't have been anymore clearly squashed by Marchionne is just stupid, and reminiscent of many of Troll of the past.

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
Sorry, no way...

I absolutely support the return of Alfa, and the mechanical specifications are very interesting. However, while the styling may look good to others, It just doesn't appeal to me.
+4.

It's not an Alfa Romeo. Looks like it has been taken in cartoon form directly from Cars the (excellent) movie.
Pete

1 - 20 of 23 Posts