Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to sell my GTV. It is a great car and I am a proud owner, but I hardly drive it. It has become a garage queen. I drive either my Spider or my Verde every day but I drive the GTV every blue moon, or so it seems. I have a two car garage and the GTV takes up one slot and forces two cars to live outside.
There are a set of photos at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157600576715684/

I bought the GTV in January 1995 from Bo Lyon of Jacksonville FL. Tom Turner did a full restoration on it in 2000 and he told me about it when he knew that I was looking for a good GTV. Bo was going to put it in the classic car auction at Amelia Island and I intercepted it. I knew Tom through SCCA. Tom specializes in restoring and maintaining European sports car and he owns a bunch of Alfas. He told me that this was the most rust free GTV that he had ever seen. The car has done less than 5000 miles since the restoration.

The restoration included rebuilt steering, suspension, brakes, engine, gearbox, drive shaft and gas tank. The interior was totally redone. All new seat covers, panels and headliner from Re-Originals and the dash was restored by Just Dashes in California.

The suspension has all new rubber bushings, new standard shocks and stock car springs. Tom selected the spring rates and cut them to length. He told me what the spring rates are but they did not mean much to me at the time and I did not remember them. The wheels are period Cromodora Daytona Mags, not the 80's style copies. The tires are 205/60 Cooper Cobras.

The steering has no slop. The steering box is a Burman.

The brakes are standard. They work fine. I don't know what pads are installed.

The engine has 10:1 Motronic pistons, Colombo & Bariani CB47 cams, 40DCOE Webers with 34 mm venturis on a Euro manifold with Euro airbox, top of the line RML PI91 ignition, Shankle headers and a custom exhaust with a single muffler and an ANSA tip. The mechanical fan has been removed and replaced by a thermostatically controlled electric pusher. It is a strong motor.

The gearbox works very well. It is easy to shift up or down into second gear, even when the gearbox is cold.

There are no clunks or excessive vibrations from the drive train.

The electrics have been upgraded. It has a higher output alternator with a built in regulator. The starter motor is a lightweight gear reduction type from a late 80's spider. The battery is a 2 year old Optima red top. The stereo has a trunk mounted Rockford Fosgate punch 200 amp with 2 Fosgate Punch speakers plus 4 advent speakers. It had a Sony CD player when I bought it but the radio did not work. I installed a Sony stereo cassette. The CD player will be included in the sale. They are the same size and are plug compatible.

Tom repainted the car in the original AR518 Metallic Rubinia but it had cat scratches when I bought it. Then I dinged the left front fender backing out of the garage with an audience of Alfisti. I think that two of them are still on the ABB. I had it repainted again in July 2005 while the fender was fixed. It was a $3000 paint job.

I have probably forgot to mention some stuff. The odometer reads just over 47000 miles. I think that it is fairly accurate. I have the original documentation and service records but the there is a gap when it appears to have been in storage in California.

It is not quite perfect. Here are all the negatives that I know about.

There a couple of small holes in the floor pan in front of the rear seat on the passenger side. I patched over one of them before I had any idea that I might sell the car.
The gearbox tends to jump out of reverse but a gentle hand on the shift lever stops this.
The speedometer reads about 15% slow. The temperature gauge reads about 60 degrees high.
The rear screen de-fogger does not work. I think that this is normal. I have owned 3 GTV's and they all had failed de-foggers.

I want about $20k for it which I believe is right for a GTV in this condition. I am in Columbia SC. I will wait a week or two before I put it on ebay.

PM me for my phone number if you are interested.

Ed Prytherch
74 GTV
79 Spider
88 Milano Verde

Attachments

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Looks beautiful. $20K is a bargain. Don't entertain anything less.

·
Registered
226 Posts
wow-nice stance, real clean interior-looks great. The motor should really pull nicely with those mods-basically a "new" '74 GTV. someone should buy this and bring it back to the bay area in california. I wonder what ebay would bring in $$$??? hard to find top condition GTV's...

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
someone should buy this and bring it back to the bay area in california.
:rolleyes: You Californianians have enough GTV's. Come on some Northeasterner, buy this;)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
That's what I was hinting it. You need one in that color to complete your rainbow:cool:

Sorry for the hijack so to get the thread back on track for a good car - excellent, clean, for sale ready to go GTV's just aren't out there in any numbers. It took me 6 mos. to get mine and I was lucky (Frank didn't amass his collection yet). I'd hate to see this car put on the evil bay:(

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sounds like a great price here...in fact it is a bargain...if ..and i expect it to go on ebay...soon..the exposure alone will get people thinking...and my prediction is...23 k plus.....good luck.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Frank, it's got the small side markers and it carbed:cool:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Awesome car! I just wish Alfa would have kept the previous grill on the GTV's.

I don't mind if it goes on Ebay as long as he gets the price it deserves. Once again, very nice!

·
Registered
226 Posts
:rolleyes: You Californianians have enough GTV's. Come on some Northeasterner, buy this;)
Nooooo! we don't want it to rust!-caulifornya is the best place for pristine GTV's :p

I think the mods to the car are subtle and all done for the better. I don't like the big side markers either. The dash looks great, the daytona mags are cool. Only 5000 miles on the clock in 7 years since the restoration? Wow, someone is gonna get a nice ride. sports car market should document the sale...

remember this car? check the side markers and mags-deja-vu?

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/profiles/2005/February/Alfa Romeo/index.html

·
Premium Member
13,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the compliments on my car. It had the big side lights when I bought it but I always preferred the European look. I had them removed when I had the fender fixed and the car re-painted. I think that I have the rear view correct Euro-look as well. It has the Round Alfa emblem and a -2000- badge below it. The rear tag lights are in the bumper. I think that the rear panel looks a lot better without the big ALFA ROMEO tag light.

It also had Webers on a SPICA manifold with adapters and curved Sprint horns. I am old enough that I don't need to hear the roar of Webers to know that I am moving along nicely.

My decision to sell was made just a couple of weeks ago. The Euro air box/manifold were only installed a couple of months ago.

I have had a couple of enquiries to buy the car from board members plus one who wants to trade me a Porsche 911. I think that it will end up in a good home. I have already been warned that I will regret selling it but I have thought it through. I drive my Spider or Milano every day. They are the cars that should be getting all my attention. They are fun to drive even if they are not as nice to look at as the GTV and they obviously do not have the same investment potential.

Ed Prytherch

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I drive my Spider or Milano every day. They are the cars that should be getting all my attention. They are fun to drive even if they are not as nice to look at as the GTV and they obviously do not have the same investment potential.

Ed Prytherch

Know the feeling with these freakin' show queens:(

;):)

·
Premium Member
13,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ken Lee is buying the car. He was very easy to deal with. Thanks to Ken#2, Joe and gtjr1300 for your interest. Ken plans to drive it to the convention so some of you will be able to see that it looks good in the flesh as well as in photos.
Ed Prytherch

I will still have a 79 Spider and an 88 Verde after the GTV has gone.

Ed Prytherch

1 - 20 of 34 Posts